how to clean magnum micron filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zachjohnson65

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Staunton, VA
easy question how to clean marineland magnum micron filter? also how long do they last? thanks

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
I rinse mine in warm water and run my finger in between the pleats. I then soak it in bleach water and let air dry. I am not sure how long they last as alot of that depends on how often you use it, but I have had mine over a year and it still does it's job.

bghill

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
To clean the filter just soak overnight in a 20:1 ratio of water to bleach. Rinse out in tapwater and let air dry.
It should last years and years.

zachjohnson65

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Staunton, VA
i will get some bleach tomorrow, i tried soaking in vinegar and water but that did not help.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Got one soaking in bleach water at the moment, soak overnight, then rinse well. use regular unscented bleach.....:)

Sea Food

Registered Member
Aug 8, 2022
Marineland suggests a 9 - 1 water to bleach ratio for their Micron filters. Soak for no more that 24hrs! I've found that soaking longer can cause the blue rubber seals on the top and bottom of the filter to start to deteriorate and melt.

MyOscarsGotAnAttitude512

Registered Member
Jan 8, 2023
So mine started doing that and it smells like bleach but only in the rubber end pieces, should I still try to use it ? I rinsed the filter for a long time with a pressure hose outside and let it dry in the sun but it still stinks on the blue rubber things… I tried scratching it off with a nail brush but it still smells!!!! What should I do ?…j was going to try to boil it in hot water to see if that helped

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You can try soaking the micron filter in a bucket of tap water with a double dose of Prime water conditioner or a similar product that neutralizes chlorine for an hour or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store