how to get convicts to breed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
what is required to get my convicts to breed

water temp
parameters
environment
plantlife
etc

thanks for the help or else redirect me to a good site that can explain it for me

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
they like to breed in caves.

floating plants are good to have a darker tank.

they like driftwood.

a neutral Ph is fine as is a normal temp (75-80)

the most important thing is to get a male and a female. Cons pair up readily.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
I'm pretty sure I have a male and female, I have one on which the dorsal fin extends past the tail, which it does not on the other one, and the other one, which I believe is the female has a pink belly

another question: right now the female has her stripes that go completely top to bottom, she looks beautiful, way more colorful than the male, is she trying to hint?

krowland

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
I started out with 8 Convicts in a 125 gallon and waited for them to pair up. Turned out I had 5 males and 3 females. I traded in the extra fish and let the pairs do their thing. I've found that my Convicts breed readily with no real work to maintain the water other than regular water changes. A few times I've had more Convict fry than I know what to do with.

kev82

AC Members
Apr 16, 2001
www.fishfiles.org
I have one pair, and they're driving me nuts :)

They spawn every month, and I can't even remember the last time I didn't have too many convict fry ;)

Just add water and a male and a female and they will spawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store