How to Keep Betta Fish Alive When on Vacation??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Haleywhit33

Registered Member
Jun 12, 2019
I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks and can't get anyone to feed my Betta fish. I wanted to get those tablets that last 7 days until I read reviews on how it clouds the water and makes it worse for the fish. Do I feed extra than usual the night before I leave or just normal amount? How long do they last without food?

Haleywhit33

Registered Member
Jun 12, 2019
Planted tank? No I don't think so. It's a 2 gallon tank from PetSmart. I'd say less then a year. Still young but not small. I got her in February.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Planted refers to having live plants in the tank. If it's not planted, that's a bit tougher. I don't advise any of the feeder blocks, definitely, and all the automatic feeders are problematic for small amounts. In a planted tank I wouldn't worry at all, but without the flora/fauna of a planted tank, two weeks is longer than a young fish will fast well for that length of time. I would find someone to come in every 4 days and feed a pre-portioned amount. See if your local LFS offers a service, maybe? Or if they would let you bring the tank to them to watch?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No, a fish bowl is a worse option. The filtration is critical, and a bowl won't have anything.

Adding a plant does not make a planted tank. If you have a month or so and a timer for the tank light, you can add some simple fast growing stem plants from a healthy tank. That will introduce microfauna that the betta can graze on. Go for something lots of fine leaves, like cabomba. If it does well, you can leave it in after you get back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store