How to know when tank is cycled?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anthony8858

Hey, fish-face!
Jan 4, 2004
Staten Island, NY
Visit site
Aside from the timeframe, and "Step by step" procedures,
what are the "tell-tale" signs of a cycled tank that's ready to be stocked with fish?

SW, of course.

Current readings are:

Ammonia 0
PH 8.0
Nitrite 0 mg/l
Nitrate 10 mg/l

Last edited:

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
You are of course going to check parameters daily. You should see a large spike in ammonia that last a few days. Then nitrites will start to spike a couple days after ammonia. within about a week both ammonia and nitrites should start to fall and nitrates will start to raise. When ammonia and nitrites are zeroed do a water change to lower nitrates and bling...you are cylced. Time period is dependent on how hard the ammonia spikes, how many dead things are in the tank, and how much "space" you have for the bacteria to live (ie. sandbed, rock, filters).

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
It depends if this is a brand new setup then there would never be ammonia or nitrite. If you have provided an ammonia source, such as rotting shrimp, and had a spike of ammonia and nitrite that have returned to 0 then you are cycled.

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
gbolton is right, I was assuming you had started a cycle some how, if you has gbolton described then yes your numbers would indicate a cycle. How long has the tank been set up? Did you add some shrimp or something to start the cycle?

fishman2000

AC Members
Feb 14, 2004
new york
Visit site
if you have had shrimp in there like everyone asked do a partial and let us know the readings nitrates can be toxic aswell you want them at 5.0 or lower good luck

Anthony8858

Hey, fish-face!
Jan 4, 2004
Staten Island, NY
Visit site
I never used shrimp.

I set up this 36 gallon tank using Uncured Live Rock, Live sand, and 25 gallons Nutri-seaWater (the rest of the water was RO water from my LFS.)
This Nuti-SeaWater has bacteria, and nutrients.
I also use a modified Skilter filter 250 with protein skimmer, 2 power heads, and an Emperor 280

As a now, I have a single striped Damsel in the tank for a week.

The water is clear, the fish is active.

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
amonia will spike first. you can expect a little after a feed or if you introduce a lot of ne l.r. for exzmple but, it should be a tiny amount.
hth
chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store