how to make top off devices?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

glaspak845

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
PA, US
Visit site
Im looking to make two top off containers/drip lines to dose kalk and RO water. I would like to use valves to regulate the drip rate of each. Does anyone know of any web pages or does anyone have plans i could follow? Also im looking to stay away from using anything with that nasal breather tube thing, i cant find that anywhere around my area. And one last question i have is, is brass poisonious to fish and inverts if i was to use it as a drip regulator?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
I personally don't have any experience with a top off/dosing system, but I have some thoughts on it. I've seen a Kent model that is cheap and seems easy and gravity fed. Heres a link to it at BigAL's:http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi It comes in smmaller sizes too.

If thats the nasal breather thing I'm sorry. But, if you're looking for drip emitters that drip a specifed rate, I would head to a local(or online) hydroponics store. They sell drip emitters and tubing that have a set flow rate, I beleive down to 1/4 gallon per hour. This may something you could rig up. It would be cheap, but I wonder with Kalk if they may plug. But, thye are cheap and easily replced if they do. As far as valves to regulate drip, I wouldn't trust it unless you have some sort of overflow protection. Adjustable valves never seem to stay at the same flow rate, especially if the input pressure changes

Do you have a sump? If so, that may make it easier. You can get a float valve from the hydro store. This you would hook up to your supply of water and it will add fluid whenever the water level drops in the sump and shut off when full. To me this seems to be the best system as far as reliablity and ease. Let me know if you want any more info.

I hope brass is not poisonous, I have lots of brass fittings on my water reservoir system. If it is, please let me know.

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
matt, are "drip emitters" the same as dosing pumps? or are they different?

you might want to rig the buckets with just airline tubing, i know they sell airline gate valves that are plastic, so you wouldnt need to deal with brass or copper parts.

oh- brass parts are safe in FW, i wouldnt keep them submerged in SW though :D

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
A drip emitter is a hotricultural term for these little plastic pieces that go onto the end of plastic tubing that basically just restrict the flow of water to a set level. Here a link to an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.dripirrigation.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/dripstor/prodpages/drip/d001.htm?E+drip1

Some can be used with 1/4" airline tubing, although most use a specific tubing size. This is cheap also.

I'd still be worried about water just flowing, no matter how slow into my tank while I'm not there to stop it from overflowing. Especially since most airline valves aren't very good at regualting air, there intended purpose. One of the valves I use for liquid leaked slightly around the valve. Just MHO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store