How-To on DIY CO2 Injection

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Thanks for the idea, Irishspy, but I've already got two single-bulb fixtures up there sitting side-by-side--no more room!

And yes, Richer, I'd like to know more about watching the nutrients. Fire away! I think I'll start the CO2 today ... wish me luck!!

-- Pat

wannabesan

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
South Jersey
Visit site
Paintball Anyone?

Anybody here play paintball?

Average paintball markers use C02 bottles of various sizes; 7oz,12oz,20oz, etc. bottles. I'm curious has anyone looked into a conversion or adaptation of the schrader valve for use in CO2 injection. A 20oz has got to last months for aquarium purposes. Refills are cheap too, usually when you plat at a field it costs $5 for all day C02 refills. The bottles are cheap too any where from $20-36 for a 20oz depending on wether the bottle is aluminium or crome molly and wether it has an ON/OFF valve or the normal schreader valve. AND paintball markers also use regulators, from simple to heafty w/ gauges. From about $20-80 for those. You would just have to work out the hose issues and make your own reactor.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Okay, I did it ...

Followed the 1/4 tsp. yeast-2 cups sugar and a pinch of baking soda recipe. Warm water. Shook well. Attached air hose in cap. I put the other end of the air hose right next to the intake tube on my AquaClear 200.

... ... nothing's happening yet ... it's been about 2 hours.

-- Pat

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
It could take a few hours for the CO2 to be produced in enough quantity to produce enough pressure to force its way into your tank. If after a day you don't notice anything, use a bit of dish soap and water to check your connections for leaks. Leaks will normally show up as small bubbles forming around the dishsoap+water mix.

HTH
-Richer

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
The DIY CO2's been running for a bit over 24 hours now, and something appears to be happening--there's a large bubble in the airline, but there's also water in the airline. Is that normal? Did I set it up right?

I just checked the pH, and it appears unchanged (7.6).

Thanks,

-- Pat

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
We have bubbles!!

I've got the end of the airhose hooked up to a bubble-wand that's only about four inches long. At first just an occasional huge bubble would come out the end of the bubble-wand (I don't have a good plug on there, where it connects to another bubble-wand. So I stuck a couple of toothpicks into the end of it and piled some gravel on top of it ...).

But now finer bubbles are starting to occasionally rise--I assume the bubble-wand is starting to work.

So ... now what? Should I measure the pH tomorrow?

I think it's WORKING!!

-- Pat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store