How to revive an ADF?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
So yesterday morning I walked out of my room to a horrible sight. one of my husbands ADFs somehow got out of his covered tank (a 1 1/2 gallon the only place he could have gotten out was the little feeding hole in the lid) jumped off of my vanity and crawled out of our room (somehow avoided two dogs) and ended up in the hallway:22_yikes:. I have no idea how long he was there but he was pretty dry, but when I touched him he kicked, so I ran and got a cup of tank water and cleaned him off. I wasn't sure what to do so I put him back in the tank. Everytime I thought he had died he'd move so I just left him there. This morning he was moving much more and seemed a bit better, but when I fed the other frog it got aggressive and the little guy seemed like he was having a hard time getting up for air so I have him in a shallow container by himself where he can get air easily and won't be bothered....so does any one have ideas what I can do for my little wayward wonderer?.........wow sorry for the super long post.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm so sorry for your loss Avanc. I know it's not the case that no one cared. I think it's just that this was a problem that no one knew for sure how to address.

I know for myself, after reading about your plight I searched online... googled... tried to find out any possible suggestion, and other than what you did... just putting him back into clean water that was shallow enough for him to reach the surface easily, there was no other emergency first aid to help with this.

You did everything I would have done in the situation.

I've had ADFs and I so hoped to find an answer regarding some other emergency assistance for the poor little fellow, but didn't find anything.

I know in the case of several of our members who have found a fish out of water for an unknown period of time, the tissue damage had already occurred and the damage was too great for survival. I guess this is the case as well with your little guy.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Those little guys are so precious, I know how it hurts to lose one of them.

avanc

Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
Thanks for the sympathy guys. I know we all care I was just upset about Eli (Payton is all alone now). It's always hard to lose something so small and fragile that I was supposed to take care of. As far as I can tell that's all there is to do and hope for the best. So a good lesson for any one with ADFS the only place it could have gotten out was the hole on top of the tank lid, which is about two inches out of the water (it's a crummy picture from my cell phone), so make sure your little guys are secure so this won't happen to yours!

tank.jpg

avanc

Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
Thank you and sorry about that ADF is short for African Dwarf Frog, those cute little aquatic frogs that they sell in a lot of fish stores.:frog:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store