how to ship crayfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
When I had my crays shipped to me, they were pretty much adults. She shipped them in a regional box (which are the smaller and more box-like instead of rectangle boxes the usps sells) in breather bags. Two were in the same bag and one by itself. Some insulation and newspaper. They all made it. Even the two in the same bag were fine, even though IDK if I would actually recommend putting two in the same. So yeah, in my experience they were shipped the same as fish or shrimp.

Of course the LFS would be much easier.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
i received 12 for 12 crayfish alive and healthy. They were shipped like snails, but individually. the sender used golf ball-baseball sized breather bags with a little water and some paper towel. the juvy crays were in the smaller bags, the adults were in the larger.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
why breather bags if they only put a small ammount of water? could i use polly? the lfs wont take him. im gonna see if petco will do store credit but i doubt it.

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
Mine were full of water. I'm guessing it's easier for crays to get oxygen through the breather bags, but I don't see why the poly bags wouldn't work. I guess that's for someone who knows more lol

Good luck

Urijah

Registered Member
May 13, 2010
I have shipped many hundreds of crays successfully. I double bag and insulate moderately with newspaper. For anything over two inches I ship individually. When weather is extreme I use styro boxes but only if temps are very extreme. Crays are more hardy than fish and can survive a long while in a bag. I once shipped a package from west MI to S CA that took 9 days in transit due to post office incompetance. There were 15 in the box, only one died.

Please feel free to ask any crayfish questions you may have!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store