how would a sponge filter work in my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
check out the sponge fitlers at www.drsfostersmith.com. All of the ones that they have work well. Get one rated for 2x your tank size. For a 30g I would run the smallest powerhead possible, or just use an air pump. I run all of mine off of air.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
for your tank, you may want to get an air-driven sponge filter.

get one that is labled twice your tank size as rallysman stated. personally, i like the sponges that have suction cups to stick to the back of the tank befcause it is easier to keep them out of the way. there are also corner sponge filters that you may want to look into.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I would get a regular filter (power or canister) and add a sponge prefilter to the intake.
?:huh:

son2fu

AC Members
Nov 22, 2006
i happen to have a regular filter, a hob, marineland biowheel and those things make ridiculously loud noises, and you have to replace the media every so often.
i have also bought an aquaclear 30 and it was too weak. although both biowheel and aquaclear were rated for 30, the biowheel seemed to pump out more water.

would using an air pump be loud? i have this tank in my bedroom.

oh, and thanks for your posts

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
Have you considered an AC 50 or 70? If not, I suggest getting a small powerhead( Eheim aquaball) because an air pump does make noise IME.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Aye, for a 26g aquarium I would have went with an AC50 myself. Anyways if your trying to keep it quiet then I would advice not to go with an air pump.

Gunnie

Newbie forever
Jun 8, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
www.egunsellers.com

son2fu

AC Members
Nov 22, 2006
i dont plan on running these on air pumps so i doubt it wil be loud. the reason why i'm thinking of these is because i hate maintenence on my biowheel, and it is loud.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store