How would I ship a 29 gallon aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I've housed fish temporarily for weeks in Rubbermaid containers of the appropriate size, which I later used for storage and compost bins. A Rubbermaid bin with the same approximate dimensions as a 29 gallon tank isn't hard to come by. They still accommodate a HOB filter nicely, and provided you have one side against a wall or the water level not filled all the way, they don't bow much.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
If there's a chip in the corner of the tank, I wouldn't be worried about it, it will house frogs with a couple inches of water. The tanks sits on top of my desk so there isn't a stand to ship, that would be a more hellish experience.

Let me explain:
- All my fish/frog equipment (Heaters, filters, pumps, etc.) is all packed in a box already there.
- The tank will be used as a frog tank, I will later buy another for my fish I plan to get.
- Anything that is shipped from here to Texas will be paid for by my dad's company.
- All I will be shipping is the tank itself with clothes and pillows inside the tank. (Hey, free shipping space)

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Oh, ok. I wouldn't be that worried about an aquarium for reptiles either...

Give it a shot and start looking for used Styrofoam ASAP, lol :)

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
My aunt and uncle ship printing parts around the world so they have plenty of Styrofoam. I don't think trying to find it will be a problem. :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've had tanks professionally moved twice without issue. I'd take the chance on their wrapping & packing skills since you're not paying :thumbsup:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
If you guys are driving up at least one of your cars why not fill it with your clothing and place it in the back seat or trunk padded? If your an a fish addict then this is a no-brainier. otherwise just have it shipped with photos of it being packed away and let the shipper pack it so you can get reimbursed when and if it brakes. All shippers carry insurance.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
^I should probably explain my situation a little better. We aren't driving over there. My dad is already in the apartment that we will be living in. I'm living here with my aunt and uncle until the school year ends and then I will fly out over there to live in texas. All my stuff is already over there, I just have clothes and little things here that I will take when I move out. If I had a car going over there, I would take it with me.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
It turns out I didn't ship it, I actually made some profit by selling it here for 35 and my dad buying one for 30 on the same day on craigslist.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
It turns out I didn't ship it, I actually made some profit by selling it here for 35 and my dad buying one for 30 on the same day on craigslist.
good news for you.
this is what I would have suggested...good thinking

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store