howdy everyone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
To those who don't know me, I'm Paula. While I only joined AC in April, I have been on this forum waaaaay too much this summer. I am a graduate student at Moss Landing Marine Labs in the heart of Monterey Bay. I'm working on my Master's Degree in Marine Ichthyology. My thesis is on the diet of deep-sea catsharks as it relates to their ecology. My advisor is very dismayed that I have not been working diligently on my thesis :( I have, instead, been participating on the Aquaria Central forums for hours and hours every day my entire summer break! :D

But that is now over, as school starts tomorrow and I'm teaching all day every Wednesday! I'm the teaching assistant for Quantitative Marine Science (aka "Stats") and have been busy getting my lesson plan together *gulp*

Well, the vacation's over. Back to the grind of classes, research, writing, and working for far too little pay... I'll do my best to participate in fish- and other chat, though, at Mr. R. Bishop's request :)

oh, yeah, and I am currently in a domestic relationship with my boyfriend, Sam, of the last 6 years. Sorry, fellas, I'm taken ;) We have my fish tanks (most of which Sam bought for me, lucky me) and our "son", cat Frodo who acts more like a dog than a cat. I have accepted that Sam loves Frodo more than me :p:

Last edited:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
thanks so much! I'm glad that people think I was helpful, and not just being overly vocal or taking liberties :D

hughitt1

Registered Hamster Rancher
Jun 18, 2006
Maryland
en.wikipedia.org
Hmm.. you make it sound like you have some terminal disease or something.... common, i mean teaching all day and writing a thesis isn't all that bad, right? :p

hmm oh ya.. it is. ah well, thus is life. Goodluck with the new semester.. don't stress too much! :)

Keith

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
No, it could be a lot worse (as rwspear pointed out in a thread, at least i'm not going into battle). But I just dread the thought of being chronically overworked and underpaid. It's a big change from my fishy vacation (when I focussed on my tanks and participating on AC). Sigh, I wish I was on vacation forever...

I am contemplating going into teaching full-time at a community college after I get my degree. That way, I could be a slacker forever and it will almost be like being a college student for the rest of my life :D

Either that, or working at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. That would almost be like vacation forever, too. Mmmm, taking care of fishies and sharks all day... *drool*

hughitt1

Registered Hamster Rancher
Jun 18, 2006
Maryland
en.wikipedia.org
Ya, I think i would definently be happy working in an aquarium or zoo of sorts. I recently was in North Carolina and visited the aquarium there, and we were able to go on a tour in the morning of what goes on "behind the scenes", and it was neat to see some of the paralells between the aquarium hobby, and the aquarium exhibits-- they have frozen bloodworms, and brine shrimp in the freezer (among other more exotic things), the equipment and plumbing seemed to be the same although on a much larger scale.. and most importantly, they have river otters.. (gosh those guys are so cute). But ya, that wouldn't be such a bad job :)

sly2kusa

Lover of Esox
Jul 25, 2006
To my dearest Hippie Gurl! :p:

I had no idea (though some idea through your thoughtful, and extremely scientific answers) that you were so deep into Graduate studies at the moment.

Please forgive me for bombarding you with fishy fart questions and Pleco cookie recipies! hehehehe :cool:

Best wishes to you - I am going to have to re-nickname you to Master Hippie Gurl!

:dance2:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
thanks so much for the compliments, gents! I have been able to be on the forum more than I had expected, after school starting. I make time for it, and besides, I'm hopelessly addicted! I couldn't stay away from AC if I tried :D

Sly, I don't mind your pleco cookie recipe PM's at all. I think it's a great recipe, and I plan on making some myself because it was a wonderful idea :) I'm just glad you think enough of me to keep me updated.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store