Howdy from Wyoming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Hi, all.

It's been ten years or so since I was here last. Life just kept me away. Place isn't nearly as busy as it used to be. Time changes all things. Haven't recognized recent posts from anybody I remember.

In case there is anybody who remembers me, I shifted from Rift Valley cichlids with a handful of tanks from other areas of the world, to a more balanced stocking list. After successfully breeding my 144th species of Rift Valley cichlid, I hit hobby fatigue. It was becoming the same thing over and over and over. After my wife convinced me not to dismantle the fish room, I decided to go back and keep fish that I hadn't kept in twenty or twenty-five years, which is basically everything but Rift Valley cichlids, lol, and a few favorites such as angels, badis, some dwarf cichlids and a few gobies. Considering that the number of fish species that are available now compared to what was available when I started in the hobby in 1983, it has been enjoyable and extremely rewarding.

Anyways, howdy.

WYite

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome back and I'm impressed by your Rift Valley cichlid spawning success. Did you ever belong to a fish club?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Howdy, Dudley. Thanks for the welcome back.

I belonged to both the Rocky Mountain Cichlid Association and the American Cichlid Association for 4 or 5 years about ten years ago, but just let the memberships run out. Living in Cheyenne, Wyoming, 100 miles away from Denver, CO (where the RMCA is centered) made it difficult to remain a member in good standing. I let my ACA membership lapse at the same time. It was a time when my life became really busy with work and kids, so it just had to be. I also was a member of the American Livebearers Association for a year, maybe two, around the same time, but again, just let the membership run out. How about you, ever belong to a club?

Thanks for the compliment. There's another 8 or 10 New Word cichlids and 25 or so non-cichlids to add to that breeding list. When I was younger I bred fish for the challenge, but as I got older I started to do it for conservation and hobby sustainability purposes, though I still enjoy the challenge. Probably 90% of the fish I purchase now I buy with the intent to breed, or at least try.

It irritates me (to put it mildly) when breeders sell a rare or uncommon species, such as L46 zebra plecos, for 100s of dollars per fish when the species is at risk for extinction in the wild. Sharing fish, or at least offering a rare or uncommon species for reasonable prices, would allow more hobbyists opportunities to breed and expand captive populations and to ensure the survival of a species. I also no longer sell my excess fish: I give them away. If I'm going to complain about breeders exploiting a fish's rarity for profit, then I better practice what I preach. Since I give them away, though, I do screen the adoptee to ensure that their set-up is adequate and that they understand the needs of the species. If it isn't and they don't get outright offended by me questioning if it is, I am willing to help them either choose fish more suitable to their setup or help them with making their tank suitable.

I'll get off my soapbox, LOL. Thanks again for the welcome.

WYite

Reactions: dudley

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Yes I belong to a couple clubs here, the Ohio Cichlid Association (OCA), the Medina County Aquarium Society and the Greater Akron Aquarium Society. Very lucky that the clubs are local and very well attended. Unfortunately 2020 has been horrible for in-person meetings.

You might want to check if any clubs are offering online meetings or at least free speaker presentations during this time of no in- person meetings.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Ohio, huh? I was born a bit to the east of you, in Steubenville. Haven't been back in 30 years or so. Too many trees and too many people for my tastes, lol.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think the OCA event is online this weekend.. Not sure if it's too late to register, seeing as it starts today if not already started.

another place to go to look would be the facebook group for online aquarium club meeting... https://www.facebook.com/groups/236385811104951

if you have specific interests (I am unlikely to help with cichlids) saying them might help.

for example, I know that the AGA is going to be starting plant related presentations... the first is in 8 days.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Ahhh, Mr. Bishop. Finally someone I remember, although I think you were just a moderator back then. And if i remember right, you 're a cichlidophile like myself. :)

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure I remember you or just your avatar, lol. But welcome back! I probably didn't interact with you much in the olden days since you were into Africans...& I'm into loaches. I like your attitude of gifting fish to the "right homes", I do that too within my club &/or area...if I can. My major club here is a plant 1 & I give as much as I can in the "pre-Covid" times...It's been almost a year since I actually saw anyone...AC is my substitute "fish family" since I can't see real people...you know we love pics! Show us what you're doing now!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store