HUGE discus issue! Need reply!! Pics included.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
I previously had one discus that seemed ill although I didn't see anything physical. I ended up softening the water and he seemed fine for a couple days. Now he has a huge swollen belly and clear/white stringy poop. The bloating is on one side and it looks solid white and even looks like it is protruding thru the skin. I promise my parameters were all good and I have stated them in several previous related threads. I'm going bare bottom after this and removing all plants except for maybe one in a pot.

What should I do?

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
What's your water change schedule? I would start by trying to feed some greens, especially softened peas and daily water changes.. About 50% maybe even more, they need really clean water.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Hmm! Many possibilities!!!!!

How long ago did you noticed the symptom? Is it getting bigger?

Look into goiter (thyroid tumor due to prolonged iodine deficiency) on discus as well as malignant tumor. Hope it's not latter as former can be reversed hwich will take time.

Perhaps development of liver/spleen cyst or even inherited.

Could be any one or combo of possibilities mentioned by all.

Hope recovers on its own and stop messing with water chemsitry too much thru additives..

Although discus are naturally found in very soft water but they make up the deficiency with foods which we usually can not duplicate exactly. Thus prolonged exposure to soft water with inadequate diets can yield many complications. Not too mention constant drastic fluctuation of water conditions.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
One sided lumps sound more like tumor/cyst or maybe parasites to me. Constipation would be symmetrical. White poo can be from not eating (stomach lining), hex or other parasites, bacteria.

Is he eating? How did you soften the water? I don't really believe this is a water issue but poor conditions can weaken fish & allow other things normally kept in check by the immune system to get the upper hand.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
:iagree: fish can harbor parasites for quite a while sometimes with no indication that they are there. Stress is a big factor in giving the parasites an upper hand and the fish succumbing to them in one way or another. How long have you had the discus? Did you get them all at the same time, from the same source?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store