Hurricane season & aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Traci

AC Members
Jun 27, 2003
Austin, Texas
Visit site
How many fish are you talking about?

What about using multi-gallon tote/storage boxes or wheeled coolers. Have them ready to go at the first sign of a hurricane heading towards you. Use those to transport fish, substrate, and filter media, not ideal and you might lose fish, but if the powers out for any length of time at home, and the hurricane is a 4 or 5, then it's unlikely you'll find anyone to look over your fish til you get back home. Wherever you evacuate too (usually SA) keep a couple of HOB handy to plug into when you get there. Even a school gym will have outlets.

They are expecting a busy season this year, but hopefully not the weekend I take the kids to Port A.

MSmith

AC Members
Nov 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have planted tanks, but if I have to evacuate there won't really be any sun. We have aluminum storm blind things on the windows that we'll close before we leave.

Andrew is the only direct hit major hurricane that I've gone through & that was >100 miles inland. (It was still bad though--my next door neighbor had 3 huge trees down--one pretty much went through his house into his living room.) I've lived my whole life in hurricane prone areas though & I know not to wait to the last moment to stock up on supplies or make plans. I meant to get whatever I needed before the season started, but I've been really busy lately and it was June before I realized it. I also still need make sure all my important papers are filed in the right box, etc, in case of evacuation.

I'll be buying some airstones and probably a UPS for the filters. The idea of a screen to cover the tank is a good one, so I'll look for something like that too. That and making sure I stock up on water is probably the best that I can do. If we get a direct hit from a major storm then there just won't be much I can do. Hopefully I won't need any of it.

Taking the fish with me might work. They're relatively small community tanks. I'm not sure if there would be enough room in the cars. In addition to the community tanks, I'd be evactuating three cats, some gerbil cages, and the bettas. Plus, you know, a few items of clothing, etc and the aforementioned papers. We'd probably be in the car for a while as we'd have to evacuate to relatives. No shelters would let us in with all the animals. I'll have to think about that some more.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Melissa

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store