HYBRID PLECS! HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Michelle0416

Registered Member
Sep 20, 2019
SO I BOUGHT A KING MUSTARD AND A KING TIGER PLECO LAST WEEK CAME WITH THERE CAVE AND WE FOUND EGGS. PUT THEM IN EGGUBATOR AND THEY HAVE HATCHED AND QUICKLY GROWING! I NO THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PLECS AND SHOULD NOT OF BRED! BUT THEY HAVE WHAT WOULD YOU CALL THEM? LOL

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd call them too many plecos. LOL

I don't think my bristle nose are hybrids, but I started with a pair a few years back, not knowing they were a male / female pair. Now I've got more then I want.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Do you mean a mustard spot plecostomus? Did you happen to get the scientific name of either of your plecos?

Any chance you can post clear pics of both of your plecos?

Reactions: the loach
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I highly doubt the IDs provided are accurate. A king tiger is an Hypancistrus while mustard spot is a Panaqolus. Some species within the same genus have been known to hybridize but I have never heard of inter-genus breeding.

There is no such thing as a King Mustard????

SO I BOUGHT A KING MUSTARD AND A KING TIGER PLECO LAST WEEK CAME WITH THERE CAVE AND WE FOUND EGGS.
Do you mean you cane home from the store with a cave which you then discovered had eggs inside? If so I would bet the spawn was not from the two fish you bought.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Either 1 would be cool to breed or at least raise the fry. I'm guessing mustard spot? But TTA has it right, cross genus eggs are extremely unlikely.

What other fish were in the tank you got them from? More of each type? Other plecos? It could be fun to see what any eggs turn out to be if they hatch & grow. Hopefully the eggs are fertile.

Good luck! Surprise eggs & fry can be fun! Post some pics if you can of both fish & eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store