HybridHerps 75 Gallon Tank (High Tech Planted Tank, with an assortment of fish)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice looking!

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
Sometimes, I really hate this hobby. This week has been one of those times. My folks did the usual 50% water change this week, and something went wrong. Apparently there was extra chlorine or something in the tap, because on Tuesday all of the congo tetras died. When that happened a 50% WC was done, and a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Eheim 2217 was placed onto the tank that had extra carbon and nitrozorb. Then, either late Tuesday or early Wednesday, my threadfin acaras died, my rainbow fish died, my EBJD died, and a rainbow cichlid died, as well as two adult SAE I had added to the tank a several weeks ago and my female super red Bristlenose. I do not know if the male Bristlenose is still alive, and the retropinnis bichir hasn’t been seen (however I can only find him at 3am when I do find him, I’ll assume he isn’t dead unless he is found dead).

I’ll do a sad, sad update once the tank settles down, but I’m upset. My folks and I have been doing everything we can to settle the tank down, and I’d like to thank my next door neighbor and my friend MonsterFish for coming over and trying to help me figure out what’s going on. I’m hoping that the water changes needed to lower the ammonia doesn’t do any more damage (ammonia now reads at 1-2ppm). I can almost guarantee I’ve lost some plant species as well…in that regard I have no idea what is or is not left.

Seriously, when random mishaps like this happen, I can really start to hate this hobby T_T

For now though, I’m just going to dump all my old photos of the tank that haven’t been posted since the last update.

God my hearts breaking looking at all these T_T

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Oh, man......I can't even fathom this :( could it have been your c02?

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What's is used as the water conditioner or how is the water conditioned before being added to the tank?

could be that the water company used to use only chlorine and recently switched to chloramine, possibly temporarily, Or used higher concentrations of either to clean out the system.

If you're sure it was the water change, then contacting the water authority to ask would be a good step to take,

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^don't they have to inform you of any changes made to the water chemistry? I would definitely call and ask some questions....that's a lot of time and effort to have been killed off by your municipal water source :/

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
it may depend on the actual water company too.. they may only need to make information available online, or notify you by mail if the chemistry will fall outside certain parameters, or maybe it was an accident and they'll notify people after the fact.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Depends on the location, some places all the notification you will get is that you see work being done on the supply pipes. If you don't see that work done you might not know they bumped up the clorine to deal with the breaches to the system caused by the pipes being replaced. And a switch to cloramine is possible also without notice.

You can also get source water contamination issues that may be within parameters allowed but not handled by fish. Some places use fish as a sort of canary in the mine to allert them to a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store