Hybrids. Endler female with Blue guppy male. Anyone had success? Tips?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SummitAndBeach

AC Members
Oct 17, 2020
?Hello everyone!
I’m testing out a new tank. my 5th tank. Others are dedicated tanks of pure breeds (Albino blue tail, blue star endlers, blue dwarf panda guppies, etc.).

New target: vibrant blue guppies
I’ve a bastard blue tank with various great blue guppies. I want to toss in my extra female Blue Star Endlers (virgin youngsters) to see what I get for blues. I’ve male guppies of neon blue, blue dwarf pandas (lesser quality not for my target in the other tank), a blue Moscow, violet purple delta guppy, a few random great looking blue male guppies I’ve found, etc. Males only. No females.

Has anyone here crossed FEMALE Endlers with Male Guppies?
Everyone seems to do it the other gender way.

Last edited:

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
It happens.. far to often.. But what you are trying to do is your own strain. This will be a mutt, or look like a fancy guppy. Nothing special. Many breeders look down on crosses like this. You want to keep your strains true if you ever want to sell.

SummitAndBeach

AC Members
Oct 17, 2020
Thx for a reply. My other tanks are always pure breeds.

This is hybrid proposal would be a personal tank. and yes many people might frown on hybrids, however, they don’t know most “Endlers” are already hybrids. even according to respected breeder Stan Shubel, the author of Aquarium Care for Fancy Guppies, the Endler guppy is, in fact, not a separate species.

My question is... has anyone done a female endler to male guppy cross? I haven’t seen any articles on this specific gender cross.

SummitAndBeach

AC Members
Oct 17, 2020
While I know it was regarded earlier as a separate species, the most recent molecular dna tests seem to state the are variants in the same species. I’m not the scientist... just following up on the most recent papers and genetic analyses...

Alexander, Heather J. "Population structure of guppies in north-eastern Venezuela, the area of putative incipient speciation". BMC Evol Biol. 14 (1): 28. doi:10.1186/1471-2148-14-28. PMC 3942120. PMID 24533965.

Again, I’m here to ask if anyone HAS experience with Female Endlers and Male guppies breeding — in that gender order.

I am not here to bait trolls. Your point was made. Do you have personal experience? If not, stop trolling.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Registered last week and now accusing people of trolling already..... ok
Until they officially decide to move it to reticulata it's a different species. That's just how binomial nomenclature works.

Reactions: PurpleGem

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
It's just possible no one has tried it or have been online to comment yet. I've no experience with live bearers so can't help.

Reactions: SummitAndBeach

NicePoeci

AC Members
Oct 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
www.nicepoeci.com
Real Name
Andrew
Yea of course. The thing to remember is that endler genetics are very dominant. Whether I cross an N class ender m/f with a guppy m/f that also isnt a N class, there will be almost a total dominance of the endler genes because guppies USUALLY dont have the years of genetic purity that N class endlers do. They will breed just fine but I think your fry outcome may be something like a watered down larger endler at least for the first generation + or - an anomaly. That being said - genetics just aren't that simple and there is always a possibility. Usually if you try to cross 2 fish that dont have at least 1 common dominant trait - its almost like the traits annihilate each other and what you end up with looks something like an N class poecilia reticulata with something like orange markings with a black dot. Theres alot to it and I can tell you there isnt alot of information about all of this readily available. Trial and "Error".

Last edited:

SummitAndBeach

AC Members
Oct 17, 2020
...genetics just aren't that simple... ...the traits annihilate each other and what you end up with looks something like an N class poecilia reticulata with something like orange markings with a black dot. Theres alot to it and I can tell you there isnt alot of information about all of this readily available. Trial and "Error".
Looking forward to this project. I wasn’t sure if the Female endler carried the color markings, hence this specific gender cross. I know male Endlers color genetics are dominant. I‘m not sure what endler colors the female would pass on — thus, male blue guppies and female blue star endler. Should be interesting! I’ll keep you posted on results! Or link any news on this wou might have found. It’d be greatly appreciated. I haven’t found material or research on this gender cross.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store