Hygro Leaves Turning Brown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stussy28

AC Members
Apr 22, 2008
Buffalo NY / State College PA
I have a decent amount of sunset hygro in my tank, it is definitely growing but the leaves are turning brown and shriveling up. It is mostly closer to the light. The plants are growing quickly and the new growth is red like they are supposed to be. I am not dosing ferts and have two all glass fluorescent tubes on my tank (30 watts total i think on a 20 gallon tank). What is causing some leaves to turn brown but the plant is still growing?

Thank you.

biggie357

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
by "still growing" do you mean they are re-sprouting? you dont have very much light on your tank, you could go up to 40-60 watts. try to double (or more) your tank size in wattage (eg. 20g - 40w)

What is your temperature at? i had a problem recently with java moss and cardamine that wasnt growing properly under 79 degrees, but at 75 they just boom.

Is it recently transported to your tank? could be shocked

stussy28

AC Members
Apr 22, 2008
Buffalo NY / State College PA
They are growing vertically and sprouting side shoots. My temperature is 77 degrees and they have been in my tank about 2 months. I'm guessing it is a deficiency of some type, but I have no clue about these things.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Can you take a picture and post it? Might help. Definitely sounds like a deficiency since you arent dosing any ferts.

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
I had my Sunset growing in a 1.5 shrimp tank with no fertilizers and they did just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store