I almost supported animal cruelty...yuck!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

m4rk13m4rk

AC Members
May 28, 2008
NV
As i was browsing through the lfs, a certain fish caught my eye.
It was a blueberry tetra!
I was wondered by its deep blue color, and i wanted to buy a few, but i was under 18, so i needed an adult.

i went home and looked online and i discovered "dying"
for those of you who have never heard of dying, its a very horrible process of coloring fish, they dip them in acid baths to remove the stress coat, and inject or dip them in a colored dye.

is there anything i can do about dying fish?
and shouldnt it be illegal?
wouldnt it fall under the caegory of animal cruelty?

:(

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
The best thing you can do against dying/alteration, dont support it and tell your LFS that such practices make you not want to spend money there, money talks. And second spread the word to others you see browsing or tempting to purchase such fish, about the cruelty involved.

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
unfortunately this process and the process of tattooing fish is not illegal... tho i agree with you that it should be... its all about supply and demand unfortunately.. so therefor so long as the demand for such fish is there... then the process' will continue. :(

ghengis

cunninglinguist
Jun 23, 2008
Cairns, Australia.
By no means a new practice. Those lovely exotic Goldfish adorning the tables at exclusive Japanese dinner parties? Dyed. Dwarf Flame Gourami's? Dyed and jacked up on steroids to keep them alive long enough for you to get them home... A disgusting practice, to be sure, and as has been mentioned, only controllable by the almighty Dollar.

Incidentally, have you seen those little Cellphone decorations popular in Asia at the moment? Basically a small glass bubble, filled with water and containing a live (though not for long) Goldfish... Sometimes we humans can be mindless, cruel cretins.

stezatois

AC Members
May 11, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Ahh yes those little sealed bags of water and fish. There is a post like that on here somewhere that neo posted. No way for air to get in and no way to feed etc. Again a 'novelty' item that involves such cruelty. That results in the fish suffocating to death. The things people will buy.... you would think there would be laws against that sort of thing these days.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
flame gouramis are dyed?

link?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
flame gouramis are dyed?

link?
I was thinking the same thing...I have heard of kissing gouramis being dyed but flame, powder blue, etc. are just different variants of Colisa lalia from my understanding...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I was thinking the same thing...I have heard of kissing gouramis being dyed but flame, powder blue, etc. are just different variants of Colisa lalia from my understanding...
meant tattooed not dyed...

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
I don't think flame gouramis are dyed, this is dyeing:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store