I can't keep a clown pleco alive for the life of me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Improperbeard

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
Yes it was the same tank but I stopped co2 two weeks before I got the pleco.

I have a little bit of algae on walls, stones, gravel, and some on the plants, but nothing crazy. I also threw algae wafers but it didn't touch them. It just kept sucking the walls.

I didn't do nerites because I don't want the eggs plastering my aquascape and I heard they can climb out my tank. The tank I have is rimless but about three inches from the top there's no water. Do you think that's enough of a buffer to stop them from making suicide climbs?

Do ramhorn snails breed like crazy and is a neutral pH ok for the snails?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Don't get a nerite snail then. Ramshorns can breed as crazy if you overfeed. But it's not hard to take them out. About any pH that is fine for the fish is fine for them.

Improperbeard

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
While I'm here, my two rainbow fish (male and female) and in the bottom left corner together. Do you think they're going to mate or is something wrong? They usually play with the lemon tetras and swim in the current.

You've been an excellent resource and I'm hoping you would know. Thank you!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You're welcome, but it's hard to say without a picture... are they clamping their fins and/or breathing heavily? They are a schooling fish as well, that need to be in schools of 6+ to be happy.

Improperbeard

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
They're breathing heavy. But now they're back in the front with the tetras. They've been schooling with them, going wherever the tetras went.

IMG_20200519_175840.jpg

Apr 2, 2002
New York
This may help, it is from the Planetcatfish species page for Panaqolus maccus
FeedingA wood-eating fish, the tank should be decorated with several different types of driftwood. These fish really like to have something to chew on. Squash, cucumber, and other vegetables should be readily available to them (yams are a favourite). Supplement two to three times weekly with frozen foods.
FurnitureThe Biotope: P. maccus are only found amongst driftwood tangles close to the banks in the main river channels. Their striped brown and cream coloured body provides excellent camouflage in this environment. Place various types and lengths of driftwood at slanting angles from the back of the tank to the front. The back and sides of the tank should be covered with a dark background. Use sand or fine gravel that is a red-brown in colour for the substrate. Hide the spawning caves along the back of the tank behind the driftwood.
CompatibilityA peaceful fish well suited to the community tank provided it has driftwood. The tank must have good mechanical filtration as these fish produce lots of waste from their steady diet of wood.
from https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=734

Improperbeard

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
Hmm...

My lemon tetras are swimming with their mouths closed. Only my male and female rainbow fish are opening and closing their mouths much. They're floating together by the filter output, enjoy the flow. My dwarf gourami is swimming with its mouth open, but it's always done that.

I put herbtanna, a natural parasite repellent, just in case.

15899333481408761672562278900821.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store