I can't keep a clown pleco alive for the life of me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Let me rephrase my question; are they breathing differently as they have done before?
Dwarf gourami is looking good. Herbtana is my preferred anti parasitic product as well. You may not have a problem, but at least it is not going to hurt anything in the tank.

neontetraking

AC Members
May 16, 2020
Earth
Real Name
Jake
that is sad that you have lost 2 clown plecos. they aree really cool

Improperbeard

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
Can't tell if it's different solely due to the fact that I can't recall if they've always breathed fast, or just now. My parameters are fine after I just tested. I just found it out that they were hiding together. Now they're back under the output so I'm assuming everythings fine.

Reactions: the loach

Improperbeard

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
I'm wondering if I got bad fish. They came from the same store as the pleco.

I found the female dead, at the surface. Looked at the male and he was in the opposite corner, upside, gasping for air.

Went to fish him out, but he flipped right side up and swam back to the top, not struggling, to the dead female.

I'm not sure how to diagnose this???

pH levels are the same as yesterday. Only difference was I dosed herbtanna??

IMG_20200520_081653.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
For how long did you have these praecox? Something was off for sure yesterday as you noticed.

Improperbeard

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
Probably for three weeks. They were active, moving, doing fine until yesterday. The most confusing part is the male upside grasping for air, then magically flipping and is now normal? Albeit depressed as he was sitting next to the dead female.

Didn't notice any bullying or nipping. Could the herbtanna have affected it?

I also did my usual 3 gallon water change with yesterday with dechlorinated tap. My tetras and gourami all came from a different store and have been with me for four months.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I see a whole bunch of missing scales, that's not good. I treat all my new fish with Herbtana, and have used it once on praecox as well, and they're not even sensitive to medications, so I am certain that is not the problem. Does this store has central filtration on the tanks or all independently? Is it a chain store? Your male will die as well soon, at this stage whatever it is can no longer be treated.

Improperbeard

AC Members
Apr 30, 2020
If I continue to use herbtanna, do you think there's a chance it could survive? Or API general cure?

It's aquarium center. I'm assuming it's a chain but this is the only one I know of.

I think they have a central filtration but I wouldn't know for sure.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
No medication can save your praecox at this stage. The missing scales indicate he had prior issues (viral, bacterial?) and the heavy breathing was only a symptom of this. Once a fish has difficulty swimming it's pretty much over. Have you quarantined these fish?

Reactions: angelcraze
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store