I can't take it anymore! Please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
You could just move to a higher elevation.;) I'm not sure where it is, but I think something like above 5,000 feet. When we go to San Francisco to visit mom, our dogs get fleas. On the way home (Tahoe is @ 6,200 ft) you hear a pleasant little poping noise. DIE FLEAS DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
That link has a big warning about using it on cats. The doses are quite different, I believe.

Gone, that is interesting! LOL. Maybe we could just take all our carpets out, and pets, and bring them up for a lovely jaunt up mount washington:D

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
I know it doesn't help, but at least you can laugh at the relatives of your current unwanted guests, and thier pressure relieving demise. May I again say: DIE FLEAS DIE!!!!! HA HA HAAAAA!!

pjfish

Fins are Fun!
Feb 10, 2005
America the Beautiful
125gJoe said:
Good idea, but I think it's called Advantix..

http://www.k9advantix.com/

Actually it's both. Advantage kills fleas. Advantix kills fleas and ticks. And, the doses are different for dogs and cats, as well as how much the animal weighs. I've spent a lot of time in shelters and most animals come in completely covered with fleas. We usually use whatever is donated Advantage/Advantix and Frontline are both marvelous.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Up here, the flea season is short, but heavy. The main reason: fleas don't like cool, dry conditions, which is what we get plenty of indoors in the winter. having said that, I can tell you that if you de-humidify (and air condition)your place well, your flea #'s should drop significantly.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
That's interesting Matak. Thing is, these don't seem to care about weather...or at least they surely aren't a seasonal thing. They've been here since...gosh...well a long time, I'm beginning to think.

Now, one would normally assume that in winter here, it would be cool and dry inside. But running something like 12 fish tanks, especially one like a warm 125g, it is as humid and warm as can be in here (which I happen to like.) It's 80F+ in here (and the heat's not even on!) with pretty heavy, wet air too. So I'm guessing the fleas are having themselves a grand ol' time.

I have increased vacuuming up to 4 times a day or so...keeping the vacuum out on the porch (Did I mention chris left it outside in the rain all day? :rolleyes: ). He isn't sold on the exterminator and wants to try using the carpet spray at the vets. It's 20 bucks per bottle (!) though, and she said it only covers something like one room. Aye aye aye. I'm going to call the exterminator again and see which chemical they use and how much of it and compare it to the vet's stuff.

Thank you for your help so far everyone.

Last edited:

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
I once moved into an apartment that was also pre infested with fleas. I have an indoor cat and she didn't have any fleas before moving in that place. I treated the cat, and used flea foggers in the apartment. I feel the foggers work better than the bombs. But I'm not sure about the fish, I didn't have a tank set up then. Also sprinkling borax in the carpet is supposed to dry out the eggs. I did that too. I magaged to get rid of them. I've had this cat about 12 years & that was the only time i had a flea problem. If you use bombs or foggers, or an exterminator for that matter, I would be very careful with the bird & keep it out of there for a good long time. They're so sensitive respiratory wise.

You wanna hear something even worse than fleas? Back when I was in college I had gone home for Christmas break or something, and discoverd that my bedrrom was infested with TICS! Nobody had been going in my room much while I was away, except the dog who still slept in there. The were all over the room, in the bed, on the dog of course & even on my old stuffed animals. They were actually crawling in the fur of the stuffed animals looking for blood! :eek: It was like some bad sci-fi movie. Ugh I'm starting to feel crawly just thinking about it.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Somethin - that is just awful! Ticks! Eek! They burrow!

Matak - given the cost of dehumidifiers, and the fact that I prefer as much humidity as I can get (and the cockatiel needs it during winter) - I think I'd rather just use a flea treamtent of some sort.

And the cockatiel will be moved out for sure - he'd probably spend a few days up with chris' parents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store