I don't understand how people do water changes.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nasomi

AC Members
Jan 10, 2013
My tanks either have bubblers or powerheads of some sort. I fill them then put in tap water conditioner for about how much I have put in, a little extra(as you can dose up to 5x the normal dosing safely). Some people swear by pre-treating, which i used to do, but i've been doing it this way for years and I have healthy tanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes, chlorine/chloramine treatment can be added as you start to refill or shortly thereafter.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
I have hot and cold water running into the fish room. I put a shut off valve at the end of a mixing valve I made out of PVC fittings and valves. The mix is set at roughly 78 degrees and a hose leads the water to a holding barrel. The barrel has a maxijet powerhead in there to simply agitate the untreated water. I let the untreated water sit in the barrel for about 20 minutes with just the powerhead running to let the chlorine do its' thing with bacteria that may be in the barrel. I add dechlorinator and let it mix for another 10 minutes or so. I use an identical barrel to collect water from the tanks in the room so that I know I'll have the exact volume of "treated" water to put back into the tanks.

aquakrishtine

AC Members
Aug 23, 2012
Real Name
K. Sant
I go for the old fashion bucket haul. It's pretty good work out for the biceps, triceps and all those arm muscles I barely use.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yes, chlorine/chloramine treatment can be added as you start to refill or shortly thereafter.
If I'm understanding this correctly; When using the Python system or the likes, you're basically adding untreated water to the tank, thus the need to pre-treat or treat directly after?

Joel

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
With a python system, you treat in the tank. I usually add enough Prime to treat the entire volume of the tank and then start filling.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store