I feel a bit devastated with Loss of Altum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'm still trying to figure out what happened.

the Largest Altum in the tank .. his body is larger than my hand. Was over 11" tall dorsal to ventral.. no early signs.. no clamped fins, healthy appetite.. was eating in the morning.. then for the evening feed I see only 5 Altum.. close look I find the large Altum laying next to the sponge filter.. still bright colors..

it's weird.. then tank was treated for possible Hex when one started getting picky.. usual treatment of prazi/metro.. that was nearly 2 weeks ago..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
That sucks, Ed.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
That is a strange death for sure. What is the average life span for them?

this message was sent using the pony express.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Angels can live fairly long lives.. I have some scalare that I've had since 2005.

this guy was only 3.. and huge...he was always eager to greet me in the evenings for food. when he extended his fins it was amazing to see how big he was...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sorry to hear about this Ed.

What is the typical lifespan of a well-kept angel?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I know for a fact they can live 8 years ;)
that's how old one scalare is..

I believe it's 7-10 on average. tho I understand in ideal conditions they can live to 15+ yrs

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Thanks all

I got these when they were dime sized.. the care for Wild angels requires a lot of dedication and water changes with aged water..RO then leaf litter to get th Ph below 6, keep temp at mid 80's ..they proved to be very resilient.
I started with 7 lost one in 2 days.. had to use furanII to get them healthy, then at 2-3 weeks and settled in came the dosing for parasites..
altum can be very delicate for the first 3-4 weeks but ince they settle in they are suppose to be very adaptable.

I discovered mine never really liked the Ph much above 6.5 so I've had to do mixed RO with tap (my tap is Ph 6.8)

3 years with very few complications...I now still have 5.

and I'll keep a close eye on them for the next few days. just in case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store