I give up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'm not buying anymore mexican turbo snails I can't get them to live, on average they last 4-6 months in any of my tanks, one of my longer lived ones is dead today had him a good 8-10 months. I limit the population to about 1 per 20g, besides what they find on their own I feed nori once or twice a week, and I have other macro's in the tanks like gracielra. No meds have been dosed, no copper all the other inverts snails crabs shrimp do just fine. Yeah some hermits but in my 29g and 40g I only have dwarf blues and reds i just dont see them taking on a 2"+ snail and the latest was right side up.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
How are your other snails doing. Even with the macro (which I never have seen my large ones eat BTW) and the nori, they may not be getting enough food. Do you have any GHA or film algae? If not, you are probably best to leave larger turbos out of the mix.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
All others seem to be doing fine, I have Cerith's, Planaxis, Nassarius, Nerites, Periwinkles, and probably a couple others that have hitchiked in, some seem to of reproduced not sure on the species they're small. I do get a bit of film algae but thats about all no GHA or other serious algae problems.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I would say the turbos are overkill. See how the tank does without them and go from there. You can always "rent" snails when you need them :).

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yeah wasn't planning on so many snails in the tank but I ordered 2 dozen to replace losses to hermits in my other tank and well if you've used reefcleaners before you know how it goes order 2 dozen get about 6 dozen. Tank originally just had 2 ceriths, 2 nassarius and the turbo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store