I got a bunch of new fry! need advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Egg sacs only last 2 or 3 days, but keep an eye on if the fry eat other foods. You need to remove any uneaten food & as much poo as you can...daily!! Pollution probably kills more fry than lack of food...with sponge filters providing some food.

I'd guess 6-8 inches deep is good but I'm not certain.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I have a sponge filter, I am trying to get as much food and poop as possible have lost a few fry :( . Changing the water everyday and feeding very little atm.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Told ya so! Are there more this time? It's almost the same amount of work to raise 8 fry as 58. Same vacuuming & water changes (daily is best) & & 2 or more small feedings/day. This is your practice round to learn from; you certainly don't want every egg from every spawn to have to raise to a "sellable" or even "re-home-able" size.

There are some foods that last in the tank a little longer. I'm a fan of Repashy gel food for my hillstream loaches (& their few community tank survivors). It can stay in the tank for ~24 hours. & some tablet & pellet foods slowly fall apart to tiny bits. & I've never tried "golden pearls" , they come in several sizes & are supposed to be a kind of substitute for baby brine shrimp...without all the work of hatching or expense of frozen. I don't know how long they might be "good for" in a tank; just something else to research in between daily WCs.

You're going to be very busy!!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Lol yeah 50 more from the other female. I made a deal with my LFS for trade with the Cory's. Still doing daily water changes and trying to suck up all the food and poop I can without taking and fry with it lol.

I am using Respashy and first bites for food. Yup 1 st time is always fun lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If you can add a second sponge filter with a T splitter from the air pump, that'd be good. You can then rinse them alternately every other day & keep up to more than half the auf wuchs.

I pretend water changes are upper arm work outs (& sometimes abs, knees, back, etc, too), lol. It's all good! You just have to do it! An occasional night off is ok, but not much more than that, fry lives are a stake!! OK, that was a guilt-stab, lol...but you know what I mean...

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I am getting another pump tomorrow so I can put in another sponge filter. I do 2 15-20% water changes a day. Doing all I can to keep the 10 I got alive lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You don't really need a second pump, just a T splitter to go to 2 sponge filters; or a gang valve to go to several. Don't forget check valves for each line (very inexpensive).

Like I said, this is your practice round. Don't panic & buy a bunch of stuff you don't really need...save your strength, time, stress & money. Use them to learn how this can work, don't just blindly buy things...

How many of a species can your LFS sell in a month while fry the will still be fairly small? How far are you willing to go to find more lfs? We learned the hard way with easy breeding cichlids; it's not that many, or as often as fish breed.. And then what? I know it's exciting right now but a pinch of pragmatism & cost analysis can go a long way to avoid future disappointment. Don't get overly excited, this is not a road to riches...maybe just some store credit for more fry supplies. But the fun of breeding is worth it...a few times, with the same species.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
They want the bronze cory's or any Corydora I can breed lol. They get sold very quickly there . They said 10-20 will take at a time. Also another one will take the same.
I'm excited for store credit lol "free" food and supply's!? I'm ok with that :)

I'm not "forcing" breeding, if it happens then it happens. I enjoy this hobby and this is just an added bonus !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store