I got a bunch of new fry! need advice.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Did your LFS say what size cory fry they'd accept? It's often 1/2 inch+ , or to you Canadians, 1.5-ish cm, lol. & that's the end of my metric conversions...ha!

I always pretend daily (or any) WCs are a part of body building exercise...in case you need extra motivation. Good for your fish & good for you. How's that for enabling?!? I've done my best cheer leading for now, go Ian!

Reactions: the loach

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
lol My LFS said about 1 inch so I will need another tank if all (i counted 40 today) survive lol. I also just like my tanks looking clear :) So if I see anything floating around thats not normal.... I do a water change Hahahaha

My 3 babies in my main tank are about an inch now. But I am keeping them ! So the 40+ I'm giving away and selling.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Great! 40 is a very good number to try & raise to a sellable size. You might lose a few, but your diligent WCs are key to fry survival. Keep it up!

Are they still of a similar size? If there is a big size difference, the smaller "may" get pushed away from most of the food, but cories aren't too bad about that. This is why there are "breeder" tanks, lots of bottom space for the amount of water & fry.

I'm going to need some more baby pics soon, although I have sewellia loach fry right next to my computer. Fish babies are almost as cute as puppies & kittens, or even more so to some of us, when they're ours, lol.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
They are different sizes. I try to spread the food out as well. Here they are ;)

20190226_211726.jpg

20190226_211721.jpg

20190226_211712.jpg

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
And the 3 in my main tank are all about 1 inch long now :) (bottom left corner and swimming in the middle)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Cool! They seem "similar" in size but if your adults keep laying eggs, you may want to start another tank for the newbs if you decide to try to raise them all "this time". There will be more later, & even more. Raise these fry you have as best you can...& then think about how many tanks you really want to have & how much energy you want to devote to them...it can get old, however it seems right now. I know, it's so exciting! & you're doing a great job with them! Keep it up!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
lol Yeah I get eggs every week almost! lol I am getting a 2nd either 23 gal (one I have now) or a 30-35 gal Next week. I am checking if someone near me has a 5-10 if I want 2 breeder tanks. I think for now , I'll only collect the eggs when I have room for them in my 10 gal breeder.
Any clue how old the ones in my main tank are? By the size comparison of the 1 month olds in my breeder, I was guessing 2 months.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, maybe. It depends on you feeding & WCs, that's key. You're going great guns, go!

I'm so happy you're taking a realistic view to spawning your fish & not trying to save them all. That can be exhausting! & disheartening.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Oh it sucks when you find some dead :( But I do my research and know that it is a hard thing and expect some to die on your first few attempts . I enjoy the challenge and watching an egg grow to a fish! I've always enjoyed fish and finally have the $ to buy some lol

Also I want some loaches for my new tank! So I can feed them some snails lol SOOOO MANY IN MY TANK hahahaha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store