I hate plastics, need some suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
I have a very natural looking brackish tank, but all the plants are fricken plastic, and they bring the tank down, are there ANY plants that can survive in brackish (we're at about 1.008 spec grav, not sure if that's important)

my substrate is sand, also not sure if that's important

my lighting is a regular bulb that came with the hood, but I won't mind upgrading IF NEEDED

thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out

Leighton :confused:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most plants won't do well in a brackish tank--nor will they survive the attentions of many BW fish.

However, you can try some of the anubias plants--they are hardier, and have lower light requirements. I'd start with one, and then get more if it's doing well a month later.

Another option you could try would be silk plants. Many places are using silk now--it looks more natural than plastic, and is easily arranged and cleaned. Make sure the silk plants don't have any exposed metal (used for rigidity), as this will quickly rust in your tank. Otherwise, they look better than plastic, IMO.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Leighton,

I agree with Orion Girl about the various silk plants that are out there. I use them in both of my GF tanks.

As for plants, depending on the tank, you could try mangroves. They need to grow above the water (there's a word for this, post-emergent, or something like that), but their roots definitely do well in brackish waters. I'd go to a nursery and special order mangroves, but it can be done.

Val

Ranger

AC Members
Jun 20, 2001
Everett, WA
I think Java fern might be a good plant to try, it has moderate light requirements and I've head that it does well in hard water. It also has a distinction that you don't plant it but rather attach it to a rock or piece of wood, so your substrate isn't a big issue. But the big advantage with cichlids or bracks is that it can be "re-arranged by fish " or owner without uprooting the plant.

Try here too http://www.disky-design.dk/fish/PlantSearch/PlantSearch.html

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
You might have a problem finding plants that will survive in water with a gravity of 1.008. I believe the upper limits of many FW plants is about 1.005 (although I could be wrong).

Try java fern, I've heard of people have success with this plant. They are easy to maintain as well, just tie them to a rock and put it in your tank. They can thrive in low lighted systems.

HTH
-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store