I have a serious ich problem. Need help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Oh thank goodness you have Prime. This takes the urgency out of the water change timing.

Tonight will be OK. Careful on the temperature change. Go very slow. Gradually lowering the temperature. We don't want to add more stress with too fast a drop.

Did you add the amount of salt needed to be constant, or a gradual drop in salinity?
How much salt do you think you have had in the tank at present, before this last water change?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
There may have been Ich in the beginning, or some other parasite, and most probably so, but for sure there is a bacterial infection going on now.

It is especially troubling that you say the Molly is now completely white, and not yellow, though fish can get washed out looking when they are stressed or feel sick.

I hope you're not describing a white film or coating all over her body.

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
No salt added yet... I just got it today and wanted to get everything right before I started adding it. I will start adding the salt after I get the nitrite and ammonia right, unless adding it now will help.

Its not a white coating, just the fish itself went white. And on top of that its head, by its eyes has a sort of white cracked look to it. it looks like hes starting to get more color back on the top of its body, but its still pretty white.

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
Alright, just did another water change. Got all kinds of gunk out. I hope I didnt mess them up too much. and I hope the ammonia drops. I used a fair amount of Prime in the bucket I added to the tank. Im going to go take a shower then take readings.

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
Alright! New readings are in.

pH: 7.5
Nitrite: .25ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Ammonia: .25ppm

How do those numbers look to you?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Those numbers are looking way better... and the Prime will help for the next 24 hours with those levels, but I would do another water change in the morning, or at least within 24 hours of the last one.

On the Prime, be sure to stay pretty close to the 5x normal dose. It's really pretty difficult to overdose with Prime to the point that it causes problems for your fish, though I've read posts where people say they have.

I have used the emergency dose, even a fairly good bit more, on many water changes and never had a problem at all.

I'm a HUGE believer in PRIME, and I'm not alone, I've read soooo many posts where very experienced AC members have safely overdosed with Prime during water quality issues, so I'm not worried that your using too much, I'm just saying don't just pour it in with reckless abandon, lol.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
How are your fish looking?

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
Alright. I got a WHOLE lot of junk out of the tank, but while I was putting my plants back in I was turning over gravel and finding all kinds of stuff floating up still.

I am not worried about the Prime as my fish are all acting normal... for the most part. I even see my baby swomming around.

Just a general question, my plecostomus is all up in the plants upside down and hes hitting every leaf, and in/on the gravel a lot. Usually he is on the glass but the last day or so, hes not been. Does that mean he is hungry? Should I drop in an algae wafer for him?

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
Other than the pleco going a bit nuts, the other fish look fine with the exception of the white molly that should be golden yellow. His friend, the one with all the spots has gotten its color back and is a real gold color again, and swimming like crazy instead of being lethargic. Hopefully the white molly will bounce back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store