I have to look for a new heater. Again.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Hi all! ❤

Hate to be a bother, but I have bought a new Hydor Theo heater. They didn’t have a 25 watt heater and they so sent me a 50 watt. I set it to 27 ish Celsius and I came back home to see my thermometer saying tank water to be above 30 C! Tank glass was actually warm. What to do? I unplugged it. It wasn’t stuck on at all, looks like it heated the tank to the set temperature, then when the temperature dropped it nuked, turned off, temp dropped and nuked again. I will never put my hands on it again, never again, just disappointed☹
Now I have to look for a new heater that is reliable and won’t bake my little guy, yes, my fighter.

I found these ones with good reviews:

I will need opinions on these heaters, though I heard thousands of very good opinion on the fluval e one.
Thank you! ❤

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Don't rely on the temperature setting on the heater, they are seldom exact.

And never get a heater that has the potential to create fish soup, there is always the potential that it will fail and remain on, so will heat the water as much as it can.

I have used Hydor Theo heaters in the past with no problems at all.

If I were going to look now, I am a fan of the Cobalt Neotherms, or would likely prefer to use a seperate controller for the heater.

The Fluval E series are fine too, assuming they fit in your tank correctly, they can be a little bit big.

See if this diagram makes a little sense as to the fact that it's possible to get a heater that is too big, and what you might want to aim for

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Yes, then I thinking correctly on getting 50 watts heater to my 25-28 L betta tank.
Neo therms, they are unavailable to get in the UK unfortunately and I read billions of reviews saying they nuke tanks. Out of my way nukers xD
I’ll look at fluval e size, but now my hydor theo seems not to overheat. Don’t you worry me lol.
I’ll keep you tuned, I tag you when I need your help.
Thank you a lot! ❤

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Not to worry you...

But ALL heaters can fail... When they do it is often catastrophic; plan accordingly.

I think we only nuked one tank.. it was a 30g reef tank, with a bunch of corals and pompom crabs one of which was carrying eggs.

It was setup with 2 seperate, well reviewed, heaters. One failed, nuked the tank, and the other.

Quite a surprise when you get back late on a Sunday after a weekend away.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Why the surprise?
I mean, uh, why did you ask that? I can’t really be ofetn here either, and my depression makes me not want anything.

The smell of cooked, dead fish when you open the door is pretty noticable.
That’s eww, grim ?
Though I like eating fish, this is officially done! ?

Uhh, there is condensation inside the heater. Would this make the heater malfunction? I’m gonna leave it outside the water for the whole night and see if this helps, but I still need the wise word of the expert ❤

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
My wise words are going to get to keep fish that thrive at your room temperature.

Or spend plenty of money on a reliable, external temperature controller, that can be calibrated.

There are plenty of fish that you can keep in the low 70s, plenty lower still.

You may never, ever, ever have a problem with a heater. But I cannot think of any experienced aquarist that has been in the hobby for a few years, to never have a failure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store