I heard....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
They are a very peaceful fish and there are a number of people who keep them in a very well selected community. From what I gather you cannot have any fast swimming and darting fish with them because this spooks them and makes them nervous. I'm sure a discus expert will post more info soon.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I have 5 Discus currently and they are real peaceful fish. They also have a lot of personality. Whenever someone comes by the tank they come up to the glass and follow the person.

Like Kit said you have to keep them in a selected community. I keep mine with neons, a few cories on the bottom, a farlowella, 2 small clown loaches, 2 blue rams. Everybody gets along real good in there.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
They are very peaceful but they are still cichlids. They will defend a spawning site diligently and fiercely (although it isn't a good idea to spawn them in a community tank). Certain discus can be very aggressive toward other discus. I have seen groups of discus that have a certain hierarchy and there will be one that gets picked on (low fish on the totem pole). Other groups that are extremely peaceful. There is quite a variation with in the species. In general discus are peaceful with other types of fish and should never be put in a tank with aggressive fish.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by Deb2
Certain discus can be very aggressive toward other discus. I have seen groups of discus that have a certain hierarchy and there will be one that gets picked on (low fish on the totem pole). Other groups that are extremely peaceful.
I learned that last week. I had six, but one got beat up pretty good last week. I tried save him, but all he was doing was suffering. The only part that I didn't understand was that I had thyese discus for about 1 1/2 years. Every one seems to be getting along fine now.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Is there some pairing up going on? Could have been competition for a mate.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by Deb2
Is there some pairing up going on? Could have been competition for a mate.
I'm not sure if this is the case. I think he was just the runt of the bunch. He was always the small one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store