I just got my first Paradise Fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knifegill

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
I agree that this fish looks female. I have two breeding pairs right now. I'm no expert, but the finnage and body shape hint toward female. That said, I have also noticed that males don't really bloom into full finnage until they have spawned. Wonderful species all around and easy to breed. Finger chasers and hardy to boot. Probably the single most well-suited fish for the aquarist.

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Well the good times may be over. I was about to go to bed tonight and when I was about to turn off the aquarium light, and I felt something moist by my heel. It was my paradise, laying there unmoving on my carpeted floor. I tried to pick it up and it flopped all over and ended up losing chunks of its tail thanks to my clumsy handling. I put it back in the tank and it looks very stressed, but alive.

I feel like the world's worst fish owner right now. I'm disappointed in myself. My mistake in leaving the hood open after feeding may have cost my fish its life. This is frustrating to say the least.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Give it some time...I've had fish jump out and survive...even fish that can't supplement with air breathing like a paradise fish. Fins will grow back. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Eric

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
He ended up bloating up and dying. I'm guessing he was already sick when he jumped. Just did a 50% water change with a 25% to follow tomorrow.

My Paradise Fish adventure ended as soon as it began.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
What a bummer! Could have been sick in advance, or the floor cold have caused internal injuries....no real way to tell, but I'm sorry to hear about it.

They're still great fish - maybe you'll be able to pick up another? Or, have you seen the dragonscale betta's at petsmart these days? in my store, they're all plakat or double plakats...I've always preferred the shorter tailed/more natural looking bettas myself.

Eric

AngeTheDude

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Yeah, I was thinking of going back to a betta. I was also thinking of setting up an all-male fancy guppy tank. I have plenty of time to decide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store