I need a list of beginner books

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Not an actual book reference, but it might be good to know...

A lot of out of print books are still available through Amazon. A lot of used book sellers and people who still have copies of OOP's are affiliated with them. If you can't find it in the book stores, don't forget to check there.... Ebay, too, while you're at it. It's hard to find anything that ISN'T on Ebay....

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Fancy Goldfish by Dr. Erik L. Johnston and Rick Hess. It is probably the best all around goldfish book for beginners to advanced. It is a complete guide to care and collecting, it also has some great pictures of goldfish. It is $24.99 on cover but I paid $17.47 on amazon.

Avoxo

Botiadancer

AC Members
Feb 24, 2003
Monrovia, CA
Visit site
Cichlids of the Americas by Wayne Leibel
I chose not to put this in the advanced section only because it's such a great read that anyone casually thinking about keeping cichlids (or fish for that matter) would probably be convinced enough to give the hobby a try. I think Leibel is the Aquarium hobby's most entertaining writer.

tnlguinn

flathead owner
Jan 26, 2003
So IN
Aquarium Style by Matthew Christian, not sure of the publisher. it has some reall nice tank setups, as well as some thet are on the edge. it has a great section on what you can put into an aquarium and what can not. very helpful for beginners.:p

Steve B

AC Members
Mar 9, 2003
Bucks County, PA
Visit site
I thought Wickman's book was coming out as part of the KISS series with a publishing date of last summer. I was in Borders recently and they had a whole section of the KISS books but I did not see it there.

For my money the best book out there now is Baensch's Aquarium Atlas Vol 1.

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
'The Complete Encyclopedia of the Freshwater Aquarium' by, John Dawes

It includes a species guide with color photos, has a section just on water plants, as well as different kinds of equipment, guide to sick fish, etc.

I received this as a gift and have found it quite helpful. :)

twokats

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
Visit site
i like the book "the simple guide to freshwater aquariums" by david e. boruchowitz. it is written for beginners in an effort to bypass "new take syndrome." heavily emphasizes cycling, water changing, amount to feed, not overstocking, etc. just in-depth enough for a beginner, but not over the top.

Pam Lowrey

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
Springfield, IL
Visit site
I like the one titled "Aquariums for Dummies" - mostly b/c I'm a big "... For Dummies" fan, but this one is also a good general beginnig-level book & includes lists of common mistakes & how to avoid them and opinions on bad beginner fish (as well as good ones).

Being a beginner myself, I really appreciated the straightforward writing style & list of common mistakes.

I think it's published either by IDG books or Hungry Minds (I can't remember which & don't have the book handy right now).

:)

Edit: Here's the citation...
Hargrove, Maddy & Mic (1999) Aquariums for Dummies, IDG Books Worldwide, Chicago, IL

And here's another one I really like for species info:
Schliewen, Ulrich, Aquarium Fish, English Translation by Rita & Robert Kimber (1992), Barron's Educational Series, Hauppauge, NY

It's the only one I've found so far to include Corydoras Panda.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store