I need a quieter filter!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Hey guys. I need some suggestions for a quieter filter for my 55g tank. I currently have a Whisper 60. I swear I've had em' all at some point and they're all pretty loud. I've had the Penguin, and an Aquaclear,which I think I liked, I forget why I changed it, but I feel like it too, was loud.

I don't want to break the bank on a filter, so if you could suggest something reasonably priced that does a nice job, that would be great. I'll prob pick it up at a Petsmart or someplace else affordable. On a bit of a budget right now.

That being said, in the long term, if you do know of a great quiet filter but is more $ please let me know about it too, as I can always hold off and put some cash aside for it down the road.

Also should mentioned I'm prob going to stick with a HOB style filter for now... I don't know a lot about canister filters, but I heard they are quiet?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Pretty much any canister will be quieter. I'd recommend either Rena or eheim. If you go with a hob, just don't get a marineland emperor 400. Just too noisy and a pain to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ConnerFish

AC Members
Sep 27, 2005
California
I have the perfect or sun sun canister and it is nice and quiet. It was a good price and I also knew nothing about canisters but decided to try it. I was also sick of the noise HOBs made.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
Agree with the others. A canister will be quieter and provide better filtration for your 55. FWIW I run fluvals and they are, like the others, pretty noise free. Good luck with your decision.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the info guys! I guess a canister will be the way to go. I'm so sick of the rumbling of the HOB... and the tank it is my bedroom... so something's gotta change.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Fluval, ehiem, rena canisters

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
As said above the SunSun/Perfecto's are decent and pretty cheap on ebay. For HOB's I have AquaClear, Aqueon, Marineland the AC's are the quietest and most versatile. Aqueon's pretty quiet but I dont like buying cartridges and its hard to fit custom media, Marinelands the same although the biowheel gets squeekey after awhile. If you go AC buy from amazon cheaper then petsmart.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Canister is the best solution.
As to the HOBs is the noise from the filter or the gurgling of the water back into the tank?
A new impeller shaft can often fix the former.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store