I put mollies in my whiskey barrel "pond" and now I have a bunch of baby...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
GOLDFISH! LOL!

The water lilies that are in the whiskey barrel were overwintered in a heated horse trough with the goldfish that live in the horse trough year round. I put the mollies in the barrel shortly after I set it up for the summer and now it is full of baby fish. The fish don't look like baby guppies though. The are copper/bronze color and they have a goldfish shaped tail... I think the goldfish laid eggs in the liles! I suspect there will be baby mollies too before long.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
The female mollies are orange with black speckles. The male's top half is orange, bottom half is white and he is covered overall with speckles.

I suspect the babies are goldfish due to the shape of the caudal fin and the fact that they have more metallic scales. I'd be happier if they were mollies though. I don't know what I'm going to do with a bunch of goldfish!

saveone

AC Members
Apr 4, 2010
eastern ky
I just had the same thing happen. I brought the gf in to winter over. I was cleaning the fish room the other day and I was putting all my junk floss etc in a container. When I went back to empty the container the next day I saw 7 little mystery fry. I put them in a container and now i have 7 little gf :)

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
Pics? Either way, congratulations on the fry!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I actually put the million goldfish fry in with their parents, as I was really hoping for molly fry in the barrel. The goldfish lasted about a week with their parents. Apparently the parents figured out the little guys were edible. :( As much as I don't need a million more goldfish, I felt kind of bad...
IMG_2035a.jpg This is the pic of the first batch of babies.

So now it is about 6 weeks later. I see baby fish in the whiskey barrel. I scoop them out and it is more goldfish! I assume these are just the ones I missed last time. If there ever were any molly babies, the goldfish are most likely eating them... In the new batch I just scooped out, there is even one starting to change colors from bronze to orange and black. Fun!

IMG_2035a.jpg

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
Either way, the fry are nice and fun to raise. After all the goldfish are gone, there is no doubt you'll get mollies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store