I put mollies in my whiskey barrel "pond" and now I have a bunch of baby...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
jealous, my outdoor gold fish and kio never have fry =\
I bet they do! The only reason I ended up with these babies is that I had pulled the lilies out of the horse water tank (where they overwinter every year) to put them in the whiskey barrel. I even hosed them off just a little! When I put the lilies in the whiskey barrel - the parent fish stayed behind in the horse tank. I suspect there are lots of eggs laid by the goldfish, but that they just eat the eggs/fry so quickly I never even know they are there.

The adults actually hunted down and ate the rather large fry that I returned to the horse tank to grow out. :( Stinkers!

In the end I lost all my goldfish. For the first time EVER my horse tank heater broke in the "on" position and cooked all my fish one day last winter. I've had horse tank heaters die before, but that has always meant that they didn't turn on at all. That's not so deadly. :(

Next spring put a spawning mop or some bushy live/plastic plants in your pond. Pull them out after a few days/weeks. You might be surprised!

wren

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store