I screwed up again! Canister help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
Ok now I'm frustrated. I did my 90% water change to get rid of my ridiculously high ammonia and it worked. Great... Well in order to do this I had to shut my filter off (Eheim Canister). When I filled it back up I turned the filter back on and it seemed to work but there didn't seem to be much pressure. So I thought I'd try to get the canister to drain by lifting the intake tube out of the water. I thought it was working because it was draining. Then I went to prime it again by sucking on the output tube. Yah I ended up with a mouthful of water uck! Now I don't know how to prime my filter and get it back to the proper pressure! It won't even do the little dribble it was doing before because there is no pressure and I can't suck on the tube.... Maybe theres a better way to properly drain it completely??

I should have just left it alone.........

Last edited:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
fill the cannister to the brim with water and put the top on. it will overflow ... that's good. then, plug it in and with all hoses connected and motor head in place, turn it upside down and back again. i bet this will get it going.

by the way, what kind of cat is that?

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
Oh boy. Anything easier? This thing is heavy enough without water in it and sort of hard to get to where I have it.... Also I don't know how to unplug the hoses without water going everywhere :( . There is water about halfway up the output tube that I can't seem to get to empty.

She's a bengal. Theres a link to my cattery in my sig :) .

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
Woooohooooo!!! Ok guys nevermind. I kept playing with sucking on the tube and then hitting the power button at the last possible moment before I got water in my mouth. After about my 20th attempt and a couple mouthfuls of water the pressure is back to 100% . What a pain and somewhat scary at the idea of having to undo everything.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
yes, it's heavy ... try tilting it over on its side rather than turning upside down? the sucking on the hose thing never worked for me. also, be sure when you start it up that the spray bar is under the water surface.

i'm in Edenton, NC ... want me to run over and turn it upside down for ya?

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
Haha thanks its all good now :) . What a pain though. I'm getting my first gunk from another aquarium tonight (more from another one tomorrow) and I wanted my filter running. I'll be scared to ever turn it off again though.

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
liv2padl said:
yes, it's heavy ... try tilting it over on its side rather than turning upside down? the sucking on the hose thing never worked for me. also, be sure when you start it up that the spray bar is under the water surface.

i'm in Edenton, NC ... want me to run over and turn it upside down for ya?
"Burping" the filter by tilting or inverting it while running to help it expel trapped air is a good idea. Works for me.

I envy you two...the Carolinas are a great place to live; I enjoyed it, and yes, we did wear socks and shoes in S. Carolina :D . Heterandria Formosa (a.k.a. the "Least Killifish") is native to those states, and is the smallest vertebrate in North America (so I understand). Hoping to get a few of those Native American fish for my rebuilding 10-gallon tank.

v/r, N-A

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
Native American said:
Heterandria Formosa (a.k.a. the "Least Killifish") is native to those states, and is the smallest vertebrate in North America (so I understand). Hoping to get a few of those Native American fish for my rebuilding 10-gallon tank.
I didn't know that. Its very warm here this winter :) . I migrated from NH as did the rest of teh Yankees in the area.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
Heterandria Formosa is native to the carolinas but you couldn't prove it by me. i've been looking for it since i've lived here (about ten years) and so far, no trace. as far as living here, it is nice ... i live on a river which runs into the Albemarle Sound about three miles from my house. as a kayaker, there's more water hereabouts than i'll probably ever get to paddle but ... and this is a big but for me, it's flat as a pancake and i love mountains. i love snow. i don't mind the cold.

all my life i was, in my mind, going to move to Canada. Nova Scotia or Newfoundland. a cabin on the ocean where the mountains meet the sea. somehow i ended up here. go figya. maybe in my next life. <sigh> i do spend several months a year up there kayaking Newfoundland and Labrador, or canoeing in the Northwest Territories which takes some of the edge off my need for the north.

seems they're right when they say .. the grass seems always greener somewhere else.

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
I don't want anything to do with the north. I'm so done with it. I've lived in MT, CO, and mostly NH. I have to say I do miss the mountains. Growing up I wanted to live in the rockies like I did when I was little. But then I decided the cold wasn't worth the extra effort of digging cars out of snow banks and the rest of the mess that results. Not to mention walking to school with that icy wind and watching your ears turn blue and purple only after a few blocks. Nope I'm so done with that weather.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store