i think i have a mantis, maybe???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

donk18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
Blacklick, Ohio
okay so i got some live rock from a local reefer out of his display tank. this is about 3 wks ago. i have everything set up in a 18 gallon rubber maid because of the big tank disaster. and i start hearing clicking. i thought maybe my hermits making noise so i blow it off. i get my display set back up. but two nights ago i am doing my nightly scan of the tank with a flash light because the rock this guy gave me had just tons of stuff and i look in a hole and there is somthing in there but i don't know what. it looks like a shirmp head or something realy wierd looking. but everytime i shine my light on it, it goes all the way back in its hole. i go to bed and think nothing of it. didn't see it yesterday then tonight it is poking its head out again. so i get my poker stick and put a piece of krill on it and stick it out side its hole. it grabs a piece and goes back in its hole. this thing hates the light i shine on it. so i can never get a good look at it. i did see what looked to be a greenish claw though with maybe a white tip. so after a while i put the tip of the stick in the hole and i hear click click click click. well that wasn't my hermits making the noise now. is this a mantis?? if not what else will click like that? and help would be great. i will get a pick soon if i can.

marinemad

marine mad
Apr 14, 2008
scotland
sounds like a mantis to me you just gotta decide if you gonna keep him! they can be quite evil!

apelaston

much more than a hobby to me.
Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
braver than me. i would probably have removed the rock with my long thick rubber gloves, but it in a bucket w water and returned it lol

i had a gorilla crab in one of my rocks unknowingly and had noticed that something had OBVIOUSly died in one of the small holes so i took a syringe and shot water and here came this huge gorilla crab flying out. it looks like he got stuck in the hole somehow and died....

donk18

AC Members
Oct 6, 2007
Blacklick, Ohio
like i said i can't really see it at all. it looked like a long arm reached out and was grabbing pieces off of the krill. i will look again tonight and try not to **** it off by poking in its hole. maybe even get a pic. if i can.

apelaston

Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
i personally would p** * it off in hopes that it would come out. I don't mean put it in harm by jabbing it in the eye or anything, but i would provoke it enough to come out for sure.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Doesn't look like a mantis to me...they have a mantis at my LFS and he punches random things that you put in his little cubicle.

apelaston

Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
looks a lot like a pistol shrimp to me...could you coax him any further out to chase that food?

ok i am sure if you could you would have..never mind lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store