I wanna do it... african style ;) (crowding south/central americans)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
no more an assumption that it does, than the assumption it doesn't...chill buddy.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
LOL this is awesome thanks gang i needed a good laugh..

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
It proves you are aware of what you can get away with for now, and your posting here shows where you will need to go down the road. As to some other postings, they insinuate they can get a way with it for ever in standard home sized tanks, which will prove to be false in the long run. Sooner or later the described quantity/mix will outgrow, mature and create issues beyond the size of a normal tank. If they are prepared to handle that, then great. Doing it and posting about it with defendingtodays conditions will remain the same seems a bit, errrmmm....foolish to be honest.
lol oh rite? cuz i never said that i planned on doing a tank change in a year or less.. rite. never.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
I've said ammonia will kill fish (which it will, from gill damage), but I've never claimed it would make them "sick" as such. Nor have I ever seen anyone else make such a claim.
well, let it be said, that any stressor on a fish will weaken its ability to fend off illness. im not a dr, and frankly i dont kno tish, but im under the impression that if a fish is stressed by amonia or nitrate or trite or w.e (could be physical stress, anything), it is more succeptable to illness. just a thouhgt

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
this thread should be archived, imo

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
well, let it be said, that any stressor on a fish will weaken its ability to fend off illness. im not a dr, and frankly i dont kno tish, but im under the impression that if a fish is stressed by amonia or nitrate or trite or w.e (could be physical stress, anything), it is more succeptable to illness. just a thouhgt
Totally agree. Was just saying ammonia doesn't cause disease directly. It certainly increases susceptibility.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
this thread should be archived, imo
Why? It doesn't give any new info, just various misinterpretations of existing info and the rebuttals to them.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
i think that the last couple pages have some serious arguments about water quality that should be adressed. but ok w.e

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Totally agree. Was just saying ammonia doesn't cause disease directly. It certainly increases susceptibility.
Well once again, THERE WAS NO AMMONIA WHEN MY FISH HAD HOLE IN THE HEAD.

What is hole in the head? It's a protozoan.

Where does it come from? Fish poop, where it is everpresent.

How do you treat it? Salt, heat, and most important lots of water changes. Also takes forever to treat it.

So in some general way can you say ammonia etc. worsen problems? Maybe but this is just conjecture like saying keep a warm coat on or you'll catch a chill, and for hole in the head or for sudden death due to hydrogen sulphide these measurements are completely irrelevant. this is like saying your fish are stressed and our medication unstresses it. It's almost meaningless, and I cringe when I see the suggestion to just add prime to the tank as a solution to various problems instead of figuring out what's going on. Again I have to think of my first thread here when I wanted to know how long chloramine takes to dissipate. No one knew, and no one seemed to even care. Now seriously if your hobby is fishkeeping and you've spent years doing it and discussed it to death on the web you don't even have a glimmer of curiosity about it? How can that be, and how can anyone like that put themselves forward as a fish expert?

Further, for a crowded larger tank there is so much beneficial bacteria you will virtually never get ammonia spikes. So once again, no ammonia present, but disease is.

The irrefutable conclusion is that water testing is not always helpful, which is obvious in and of itself anyway. So people really think fishkeeping can be torn down to 4 simple variables of water quality and that's it? That's basically what people disagreeing with me are doing, then they turn around and point to their amazing experience to back this up, but seem to believe my fish are in constant agony and bad health. Since that's not true maybe they just don't know what they are talking about, no matter how much experience they claim to have (and simply parroting back the same 3-4 things a million times on a message board doesn't seem to indicate much knowledge to me to be honest).

And that goes back to the whole premise of this thread. Why is karma doing this? He's trying to learn fishkeeping better, but REALLY learn it not just repeat back the same annoying checklist I hear in every thread. The opposition is talking in generalities and stuff they read on the internet, especially the talk about aggressive fish which is dead wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store