i wanna make my puffer marine

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Karma954

Say hi to Tweezy :D
Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
its the cycling part that im having a hard time with.. ok so, i fiure imma get like a 45, use sand as a substrate (any recommendations? i figured i would just use a pure white sand) id actually like to try a mangrove kinda thing but, idk how doable that is, or what id need for it. so, what steps should i take to get this new tank cycled, and be able to adapt my puffer to the water???

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
its the cycling part that im having a hard time with.. Processes are same as in f/w, just different Sp/strains of BB.

ok so, i fiure imma get like a 45, use sand as a substrate (any recommendations? i figured i would just use a pure white sand) There were few threads recently on General Marine regarding new s/w tank except Tabisfish (way too long:evil_lol:) + bit of efforts on your part with research.

id actually like to try a mangrove kinda thing but, idk how doable that is, or what id need for it. Old idea! if desired, DO it in shallow refugium with appropriate lighting..

so, what steps should i take to get this new tank cycled, and be able to adapt my puffer to the water??? I would gradually turn existing 10G into brackish condition while new tank is cycling. Upon establishing new tank, gradual acclimation should do the trick:)
Have fun!!!!!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
All you have to do is fishless cycle a sw tank which is no different than doing so on a fw tank. You could safely acclimate the puffer in a few days after the sw tank is ready. It's a bit of work but it ain't rocket science!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
A fishless cycle is where you feed a tank with no fish, allowing the food to decay and feed the bacteria you need.

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
is there a bacteria i can buy in stores that is for brackish?

Karma954

Apr 16, 2011
broward county
Real Name
Mason
I FORGOT to mnetion, i changed my mind about jumping tweezy to marine right away. i want to move him to brackish first, and have fun with that for a little while. so in regards to substrate n stuff and mangroves n all that.. i gues imma just have to do research, thanks for help everyone. feel free to leave more info if u feel it necessary

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
for substrate throw some pool filter sand in there, wicked cheap. Get it at a pool supply store

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store