I wanted to post goldfish pics...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FluffynTex

Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!
May 21, 2008
West Texas
Last summer I put comets in my new pond and a lily. I found out one of my Dachshunds likes to eat lilies and the other one likes to go fishing, I caught her as she was "playing" with the last comet in the yard. I am in the process of fencing the back yard so there will be no dogs in the front and I can restock my little pond. I loved my goldfish 8(

Last edited:

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Kristina, I'm so sorry. That's just devasting news. It broke my heart to hear you had to go through this.

If there's anything I can do to help, just ask. I'd be happy to help pick out some fish to send you directly or have delivered to you if getting to a local seller is that much trouble.

Wishing you the best with your remaining comet. Keep your spirits up, lady!!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Kristina, I am so sorry for your tragic loss. I know that must have been so traumatic for you. Poor fish. You sound like me; I can't stand for anything to die. I hope your remaining goldie pulls through.

Kashta, very kind offer. Good on you, girl.

Kristina, take her up on it. She knows how to safely package and ship to you so you will have some new healthy goldies to make up for your loss. Poor cats just did what cats "oft are wont to do."

Please don't be hard on yourself. We're imperfect humans and mishaps will happen. Things we never expected to happen, sometimes do.

Please know how very sorry I am for your tradgedy.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Thank you, both of you. And thank you Kashta for your generous offer! I think it would behoove me well to take you up on it.

I am at a disadvantage where I live, being a pet lover. There are literally no pet stores nearby. The closest is 45 miles, but it isn't worth going. She takes horrid care of her animals, her shop stinks, and everything is sick. I won't even by mice or rats there to feed my snakes, they are so filthy.

There is a Meijer and a Walmart, but it doesn't do me any good to buy anything from there either, they always die within ten days no matter what I do. I know it isn't me. I am very faithful about water changes, I check my parameters, my temps are good, if I thought I was doing something wrong, I wouldn't buy fish until I fixed it. (Apparently, my worst vice is not having tank backgrounds, LOL.) I drip acclimate everything, and I quarantine.

I have wanted to get goldies again for a long time, but I never found anything I like. I really was attracted to these poor little fish. I just can't believe it was over that quick.

On a side note, I really am not mad at the cats, more at myself. They aren't rational beings, they did not know that they were doing anything wrong. All of my tanks have lids, and I just have never had anything like this happen before.

Kristina

PuppyFluffer

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
east coast USA
I am so sorry for the fish and for you! (Not the stinkin' cats, they had fun!)

With closed tops to your tanks, how were you to guess they would do this? You certainly have no prior history to think they would have done this.

I'm so sorry.

I too take bugs outside instead of killing them. The only things I kill are ticks and mosquitos.

I hope you find some lovely new goldies.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
That's great, Kristina. We'll do some serious fish browsing first so I can find out which traits/color patterns would tickle you the most and you can pick out whatever you want. They're so easy to find here and through other realiable sources. That actually sounds like fun, too. I'm happy you'll let me enjoy that part of this with you.

:goldfish:

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Heh, you're gonna have a hard time remembering that you're shopping for someone else, Kashta. I wonder how many new fishy babies of your own you'll be coming home with. ;)

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
It does sound like a lot of fun, Kashta, and again I thank you!

The Lone Survivor is still hanging in there this morning. He is active and acting normal, browsing at the plants and exploring. I am still not too optimistic about hos longevity, but I will just have to wait and see.

I have to do a water change on the tank in a little while, and make sure that my levels will be okay with the sudden unintended new addition (Especially since this is the tank that Kashta told me NOT to put goldies in the other night in chat, lol. I really had no choice at the time. It was tank RIGHT NOW or die.)

Kristina

savi

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
South Carolina
So sorry to hear about the goldfish, good luck with the remaining one. I used to keep fancy goldfish but I had terrible luck with them despite keeping them in stellar conditions. I always did love the comets especially the gold and white ones, but didn't have a big enough tank or pond for them. Thats an awesome offer from Kashta, I love how we have such wonderful members here, reminds me of why I love this hobby so much.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Heh, you're gonna have a hard time remembering that you're shopping for someone else, Kashta. I wonder how many new fishy babies of your own you'll be coming home with. ;)
Hehee.. I'm already making a list, paperdragon!! But you're right... like I need an excuse to get more tanks. :silly:

(Especially since this is the tank that Kashta told me NOT to put goldies in the other night in chat, lol. I really had no choice at the time. It was tank RIGHT NOW or die.)
Kristina
Oh no, there's a huge difference between long-term, healthy goldfish keeping and an emergency hospital tank setup. When disaster strikes, you make use of the best items you can find.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store