I was given an empty tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Some of my friends moved out of their house and the 3rd roommate left behind a fish tank. From what they said it appears to be about 30 gallons. I haven't seen it, they are bringing it over on monday. It wont be set up for a while but I'm not sure what to put in it. I would like to have the end result be dark substrate, planted, with brightly colored schooling fish.

Any suggestions?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
well, I see fish, and substrate, and plants, the only other thing i can think of would be water. ;)

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
OH! good call, I deff would have forgotten that!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I don't even have it in my possession yet. It's either a 25 or a 40. Thats what the old roommate used to have.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
3-spot and pearl gouamis. I've got a gold/blue/opaline and pearl in the same tank and they are very beautiful together.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I don't even have it in my possession yet. It's either a 25 or a 40. Thats what the old roommate used to have.
That's quite a big difference in terms of size. Any chance you could get dimensions from them beforehand?

GotTanked

30g Planted Barb Tank
Jul 23, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Of course there is the cichlid route (in a 25 rams, apistos, kribs, shellies... more options for the 40) which is popular for a reason, cichlids are awesome. Breeding display and what not, plus colors and personality.

You could also go with the "basic community" route with tetras/danios/rasboras, cory cats, maybe a pleco, and a "show" fish or two, or three.

Or you can go somewhere in the middle... small fish, but still spunky, and get some Gold Barbs and Tiger Barbs like me :D There are also larger barbs that are quite colorful and interesting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store