I woke up this morning and my plecostomus bit my Oranda.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pauhn

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
I've noticed a change in my plecostomus. He won't leave the area of this certain rock, even if I take the rock out of the tank, my Oranda has been avoiding that area too I've noticed. When I woke up this morning I found a raised area on the Oranda's left side, with a cut in the center.

Obviously I do not know for sure if the plecostomus caused this, but I think it's safe to assume. Am I going to have to remove the plecostomus from the tank?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
most likely..yes....what kind of pleco and what size tank?

pauhn

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
29 gallon tank, common pleco from Petco, still very small, 2-3 inches. I wasn't aware that they had aggressive tendencies, petco did not inform me of this.

Last edited:

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Plecos aren't necessarily aggressive, but they can find the slime coat on goldfish really attractive, which is one reason why they aren't recommended to be kept together. Is it possible that your goldfish bumped himself on a tank decoration? It's certainly possible that the pleco sucked the slime coat. Try some additional veggies for the pleco to see if that will stop the problem (at least until you can find Mr. Pleco a new home.)

Sarr

Je pense donc je suis
Jun 9, 2007
Iowa
Plecos become territorial with age.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I'd definitely remove the pleco. The only pleco I've successfuly kept with my fancies is the bristlenose pleco. I have one with my orandas, moor and pearlscale.

hamster_34

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
I recent put a 3" comet in the tank with my oscar and comon pleco... Thought oscar would bother him, never thought the pleco would. Had to take the comet out yesterday because he is missing scales and would not come out from under my stump. Took the stump out to net the comet, and the pleco chased him all over the tank, and latched onto his side. Slime coat eating maybe, actually being agressive more likely.

Anyone interested in a large pleco?

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Plecos and goldfish are the worst possible combination. I know a lot of people have kept BN plecos with goldies, but people have had BN plecs attack and kill goldies too. I don't see it as being worth the risk.

Part of the problem is that most plecos are actually omnivores. They need some meat in their diet, and unless they are being fed a porportionate amount of sinking foods and veggies, then they aren't getting enough, and the sides of the slow moving goldfish become an ideal meal.

You need to remove the pleco ASAP.

Kristina

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store