Ich present in tank with Ottos and RLPleco.. help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
True. TY for the input on my Ich threads Blue.

Now I have my Rasboras and my Betta in the 10 gallon treatment tank, salt is in at 1tsp/gallon. Tomorrow morning I'll add another 5 tablespoons.
The 20 is just waiting to get rid of the Ich.. the Plec, Otos, and snails are in there along with the plants.

How should I treat these scaleless fish? They are susceptible to Ich, right? I havn't seen any Ich on any of the Otos or the Plec, but if they can get it, I'm gonna treat it... I have to get it out of my tank anyways, right? Any other suggestions for treatment other than the Quinine Powder method?
FYI, 1tsp/gal salt is enough. :)

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
i use 1tsp/gallon, and have never had a problem treating my tanks. :) i don't like to use salt, so the lower dose helps keep my mind at peace as well.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
true.. i ended up putting a little less than 1.5 tsp/gallon of salt in the 10. 1 of the rasboras died, it looks like another is feeling iffy but hanging in there. we'll see.
im beefing up the plec, ottos n snails in the 20 with algae wafers and cucumbers before i start the salt in the 20. lol idk why.. but it mustve made sense in my head at one point
maybe im just putting it off cus im nervous about it

ill check bak in with this thread in a few days incase anybody wants 2 know how its working

plaalye

AC Members
Mar 23, 2008
Bellingham, Wa.
I've used salt/heat with many sensitive fish including cories,otos,cardinals, and loaches with no losses. I used a dose of about 1 tblsp per 5 gal added over a few days. It's also important to remove the salt and lower the heat as slowly as you add it when the treatment is finished.
I have now changed to using Kordon rid-ich or the same fish as I could never get completely rid of the ich with the salt/heat, always seemed to re-occur just when I thought I'd licked it! Rid-ich is much easier, quicker,more effective, and I haven't had any side effects.

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
I have treated Pl*cos, Loaches and Cories with the following treatment regimine and never lost a one.

Raise temperature to 84F
Vaccuum substrate or base of tank and replace water
Add aquarium salt at a ratio of 1tbsp per gallon in 1tbsp doses every hour be sure to dissolve the salt into a cup of aquarium water first.
Add Seachem Para Guard as per bottle directions
Vaccuum the base/substrate daily and replace removed water with salted water so as to not adjust salinity
Continue to follow the Para Guard instructions

This should be done for a minimum of 7 days or 2-3 days after the last of the white spots have dissappeared which ever is the longer period of time.
Continue to vaccuum the base/substrate daily and replace water with fresh non-salted water. This will reduce the salinity level gradually.
After 7 days post treatment the fish should be safe enough to place in your tank.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
1 tbsp = 3 tsp isn't it? And it used to be the recommendation was 1-3 tsp per gallon, so at the minimum for effective treatment, 1 tsp for sensitive fish (which has been fine for my 2 Otos who have survived ich treatments) but not more than 3. I'd be scared to get to 3 again though, it didn't work out for me. :/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store