ich question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hitz2b

AC Members
Mar 8, 2003
Lincoln, Nebraska
Visit site
can i treat ich with healthy fish in the tank or should I remove them?

What Kind of salt should I use? Table Salt?

I think my twin bar platies are getting ich. I have 4 neon tetras and a algae eater in there also.

Just wondering. Thanks.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
i would not recommend the use of salt, and definately not the use of sodium chloride (table salt), as a treatment for ich. the best method which is fool proof is to raise the temp of the tank to 27C or above, as ich cant survive at this temp. however, most propriety ich treatments available from your lfs work very well at getting rid of this parasite.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
We had this a day or two ago. The death temperature for ick is 90F - 32C

Sodium chloride does work, but my personal preference is to use commercial meds.

Oh, and it's probably best to leave all the fish in because they may well be carrying the parasite.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Sodium chloride does work against ich. However, to use only salt, it has to be at a 3% solution (by weight) to be effective which would be a bit much for your fish, hence the recommendation not to use it as a treatment. Many ppl, myself included, use salt to aid in treating ich while using commercial meds. Read labels, some meds contain salt already. Check out www.skepticalaquarist.com for good ich and salt info.
btw- table salt is o.k.!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store