ID please - What the heck is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
I am starting to lean more towards the Threadfin Acara (acarichthys heckelii)

Or the Herichthys Ellioti, or Herichthys Aureus, or Herichthys Helleri

Thing is though The Aureus and the Helleri are not widely distributed fish. Especially not in regular run of the mill pet stores. You would find them more often with high end distributers like Jeff Rapps and specialty fish stores.

So I am leaning more towards the Ellioti then the threadfin.
The two bottom pictures.
I also haven't ruled out my original Geo thought. I just can't seem to find that book right now.

acaramarelo6xw.jpg ThorichthysElliotti_klein.jpg HAureus.jpg HHelleri.jpg

Bnoble

Advanced User
Jan 31, 2008
USA,VA
please let us know if u fine out the name, neat looking fish tho.

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
its a jewel cichlid...Hemichromis guttatus

Lookie here:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/h_guttatus.php
Thats not a jewel. Look at the coloration of that Jewel in the link you posted and look at the OP photo. Totally different. Jewels do not have big finnage like that one and there bodies do not look like the OP's photo. I have a Jewel in with my Mbuna and he looks NOTHING like the unidentified fish.

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
other than body shape its coloration looks almost exactly like my jack dempsey but its body shape looks like a firemouth so is it possible its a half dempsey half firemouth? because i think it looks just like a firemouth but way to many colors and spangles.

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
first thing I though given the profile was Geo

finnage particularly the ventrals and the shape and coloration..but possibly a hybrid
It looks like a geo of some sort to me too, especially given all the irridescent blue scales and general profile. It's not a firemouth or acara anyway.

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
It certainly has the shape of a firemouth, but I havnt seen markings like that before. Its a spectacular fish whatever it is! It kinda looks like a firemouth/bolivian ram hybrid lol

ProAquatics

Java craving
Mar 6, 2008
Lake Chabot

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Thorichthys ellioti, closely related to T. meeki (firemouth). Could be a hybrid of the two, but I don't think so. It is definately Thorichthys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store