ID Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
The body shape is very reminiscent of a baloon molly, but as far as I know, ther are no fullred strains of molly on the commercial market (or anywhere). My bet is on "balloon sword" or platy, but either way, it's got a very nice high fin!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Although I didn't know there were actually any "balloon" platies, this is what it looks like to me. Very impressive, too, full red with such nice finnage. How much did you pay for him?

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Shame about the balloon shape though. Terrible deformation to put a fish through.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
When it gets down to it, the finnage and color are deformities too. We already do so much messing with the fish that we keep, lets not badmouth a trait just because we don't find it pleasing to the eye. Unless you're only keeping wild fish, you've already got both feet in the pool.

BTW, An exhaustive search of the net turned up nothing on velvet red molly cultivars. What is called a "red molly" is just the orange form that is commonly seen. Didn't find any pictures of balloon platies either, though there's lots of references to them on the web.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I "badmouth" the balloon trait because unlike the long finnage and colours, it actually harms the fish by deforming the body cavity shape and the internal organs.

53special

My wife hates my fish
Feb 8, 2008
Bensalem, Pa
Although I didn't know there were actually any "balloon" platies, this is what it looks like to me. Very impressive, too, full red with such nice finnage. How much did you pay for him?
I paid $7.50 for her. I bought her mislabeled as a Balloon Molly.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
It looks like a molly to me. The species is highly variable and there is some red in some P. sphenops populations.
Karl, just because the molly is highly variable doesn't mean every color is available unless you count dyeing processes. Where have you seen a molly with that unusual finnage shape? That is no doubt a platy or swordtail. Only both species have that finnage shape even if you talk about their crosses. It is either a shortbodied or a balloon platy/swordtail. The case sounds absurd but the finnage shape is enough for me to say it is not a molly.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Point taken, but having a dorsal fin thats 30 or 40 times bigger than it's supposed to be can't be that comfortable either. Also, balloon shaped fish are fully capable of living long, full, and for all intents and purposes, normal lives if their needs are met. Coming from a fancy goldfish background, it peeves me a little bit that people badmouth certain traits, such as the "balloon" body, and the same people often won't bat an eye at hm bettas or guppies with such extreme finnage that they can hardly swim.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store