ID - Pumpkin Seed fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
when i used to fish in prospect park, we used to talk about the over abundance of pumpkinseed, we always caught more of them then LM bass..

99.9% sure thats what the fish your pictures are.

vombatus

AC Members
Thanks much! I saw the name on a list of fish that are found there and I thought it really looked like my pictures, but I don't know much about wild fish. Good to see people confirming my guess.

when i used to fish in prospect park, we used to talk about the over abundance of pumpkinseed, we always caught more of them then LM bass..

99.9% sure thats what the fish your pictures are.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I'm pretty sure that's a Green Sunfish just by looking at the coloring on the tips of the fins.

LifelessForm

Papercut Survivor
Sep 8, 2008
Mechanicsburg, Pa
A pumpkinseed is in the sunfish family. A pumpkinseed is not the definition of a sunfish per se.
Last I checked, the Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus) is a member of the sunfish (Centrarchidae) family. That would make it a SUNFISH. Not sure how much closer to the "definition" of a sunfish you can get. Especially considering Lepomis is the genus of COMMON SUNFISH.

Oh yea, and I'll second VF, looks like a Green Sunfish as opposed to a Pumpkinseed, but all species in the Lepomis family will interbreed in a pond setting so it could be a hybrid as well. Only a side view, and possibly one out of water will give a true ID of the fish.

vombatus

AC Members
Thanks everybody. It's okay with me to just say it's a sunfish and leave it at that. I personally think it's a pumpkinseed due to the tiny red dot at the edge of the colored circle, but it's only visible in one of my pictures. That's interesting that they hybridize. Makes perfect sense. And also, I could have taken pictures of more than one fish, although that was not my intention. The one with the red dot showing, maybe that's not the same fish as the other pictures. I was trying to follow one but the water was muddy. So, sunfish, possibly pumpkinseed, possibly green. I'm satisfied.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store