Ideal amount of salt.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Some people keep it at .023, while others bring it up to .026.

Mine is near the .025 mark. Is there a "better" number to keep it at?

Also, does it depend on what kind of fish/corals you keep in there?

thanks

agilis

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
This is a topic that was hotly discussed at one time, but not so much currently. The fact is that different fishes and inverts have different tolerances. Some marine environments tend to be SLIGHTLY more saline than average because of high equatorial evaporation rates coupled with an lack of FW intrusion. The Red Sea is an example. Other areas are less saline due to the presence of rivers, melting ice, etc. Coral reefs tend to be very consistent and stable, with S.G. averaging about 1.025. The most delicate corals will have no problems with small deviations from that, to 1.026 or 1.024. Hardier corals shrug off even greater variations.

Fish are slightly different. Those species that live in stable salinities and temps may be less adaptable than other fishes, but all of them can adapt to lower salinity. They can handle higher salinity as well, but this places a physiological strain on them. SW fish are constantly excreting salt in order to maintain their osmotic balance. The saltier their environment, the greater the strain on their body. It should be noted that the oceans are slowly, over the course of millions of years, becoming saltier. The ancestors of our present fish swam in less saline seas. I have read some interesting speculation regarding very early human evolution and our blood salinity levels.

Most SW aquarium fish do well from 1.020 to 1.028. Some aquarists keep fish at low salinities, to reduce the physical strain on fish, and also because it is less expensive. This seems to work well for MOST fishes, but I don't recommed it except for those fish that are found in estuaries and bays, like boxfish, puffers, trunkfish, seahorses, lookdowns, etc. Some dealers jack up the salt level because this is said to make the fish more active and a touch more vivid. Not a good idea, I think.

I keep my fish-only aquariums at about 1.022 to 1.023, and my inverts and mixed aquariums at 1.024 to 1.025. I'm sure I can get away with wider variations, but those are my optimal settings. Needless to say, any changes should be made gradually. Also get a GOOD hydrometer, and make sure you know how it is temperature adjusted. I personally don't like those plastic gizmos with a pointer inside. Get a real hydrometer, and check to see at what temp it is regulated. Many are set at 68F. If your aquarium is 78F, a reading of 1.023 on that hydrometer means your water is really around 1.025.

Good info....

Nice bit of information. It is interesting to note the acceptable variance in salinity swing - and the importance of an accurate "initial" measurement. What I find to be a constantly useful tool is to establish the salinity, and then see where my float hydrometer "rests" in still water. The water line always rises above the actual number, but once you have the system "tweaked" and know where the water is "supposed to be" on the float hydrometer, it provides an instant "quick check."

Anyway, some nice info there - a good synopsis! :)

votek

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
If your interested in what types of tolerances the fish can take...I believe I saw a map on one of the government sites detailing the change in temperatures from el-nino. The warming seems to be hurting much of the coral off the coast of Africa and South America.

There are also fish species from there that seem to be more delicate to harsh changes.

In my fish only tank, I keep my salinity around 1.017. I find that my fish "breath" a bit easier, and it makes it easier for me to treat any possible ICH outbreak via hypo-salinity. I've been running my tanks that way for years, and have not noticed any adverse effects on the fish. As for the thoughs on a good hydrometer, I couldn't agree more. A good hydrometer is IMHO one of the most esential parts of a successful marine aquarium. I myself sugest looking into getting a refractometer, and if you have one of the plastic swing-arm style hydrometers, toss it...lol. Working at a LFS has given me a chance to experiment with those. I lined up 5 different plastic swing-arm hydrometers( 3 used, and 2 brand new), and all 5 read differently, with the lowest at 1.017 and the highest at 1.024. The next day I bought my refractometer. HTH.

"J"

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Thanks again for the info....

I will be buying a good hydrometer very soon. Strangely, it doesn't look like Big Als sells hydrometers...

Anyway, I'll look around. Is there one sort in particular that I should consider purchasing over another?

Thanks. :)

fishfreek

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Virginia
www.aquariumadvice.com
Its been said that hydromoters are really not as accurate and if your the type of person that wants an exact reading then a more expensive refractometer is what you need.

One thing to note is that the temperature of the water can affect a hydromoters reading where as a refractometer uses a scale based upon how the light is bent at differnt levels of salinity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store