Ideal # of Cory Cats for 55 G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Should we...

• fewer than 10 corys

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FisherMack

AC Members
Nov 29, 2020
Florida, USA
Hi all! We are in the process of stocking a planted 55 gallon peaceful freshwater community aquarium.

According to aqadvisor the ideal stock for our aquarium and equipment would be:

1x dwarf gourami
18x neon tetra
12x candy cane tetra
10x diamond tetra (may switch out for a different tetra)
5x false julii cory cat
5x panda cat
8x blue jelly rili shrimp
6x ghost shrimp

My question is, is this an ideal number of cory cats for our setup? Between the corys and shrimp do you think this is a decent clean up crew?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I keep 29 corydoras in my 55 ;)

You can't go wrong with cories, but id avoid pandas because theyre often genetically weak and prone to all sorts of problems.

Shrimp are good at cleaning algae and such, ghost shrimp are good scavengers of food, but the cories should be fed their own food too, not left to fend for scraps. Meatier foods are better for them, so shrimp pellets and bug bite pellets make a good staple for them, supplemented with frozen foods and flakes too. Drop the flakes in the filter current for them as they will get what goes to the bottom

FisherMack

AC Members
Nov 29, 2020
Florida, USA
Thank you two! We currently have 2 julii's and 3 panda's in the aquarium. We had more but unfortunately we've lost quite a few after a nitrite spike thanks to a hollow decoration. I do love the little cory's but the aquarium is really for our young autistic son. Of course he prefers the tetra's. I'm just trying to make sure we balance what he likes and wants without skimping on the cleanup crew. And don't fret! They do get fed!

Surprisingly NoodleCats we've had better luck with panda's than the julii's! We had originally started with julii's but LFS had got a bad batch and we were having such trouble with them we ended up trying panda's instead. We've still lost a couple panda's, but so far they've been hardier than the julii's.

Reactions: Sprinkle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would skip the diamond tetras, try for cardinals instead of neons and go for something else aside from the dwarf gourami. Oh.. and like said! Up the numbers of corys.

Nothing against gourami, but I've never had luck with dwarf variety and which ever you choose is likely going to pick at shrimp.

FisherMack

AC Members
Nov 29, 2020
Florida, USA
Thanks for your input y'all! I'm currently planning for a stock of:

1 dwarf gourami
18 neon tetras
12 candy cane tetras
10-12 (?) tetra
6-8 julii cory
6 panda cory
plus the shrimp and some snails

our current stock is:

1 dwarf gourami
11 neon tetras
8 candy cane tetras
2 julii
3 panda
at least 3 ghost shrimp and some random snails that came in on plants

Like i said we had more cory's but we unfortunately had a big nitrite spike and the cory's were badly affected. So far we haven't had any issues with aggression from our dwarf gourami and he doesn't bother the shrimp at all. we finally got our nitrites back under control after thanksgiving but we're about to head out of state. So once we're back i can continue slowly getting our #'s up.

herp606

AC Members
Nov 18, 2020
I think that your stocking idea should work well.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Since the tank is for your son, I'm guessing you want fish that are easy to care for and will provide visual interest through activity and color. You're not trying to recreate a specific biotope or trying to breed the species you have, so I think you're on the right track.

Stick with neon tetras. They've been bred in captivity a lot longer than cardinals and are a lot more tolerant of varying water conditions, including relatively hard water. Even captive-bred cardinals can still be picky about water conditions. Neons are usually hardier, in my experience.

Replace the diamond tetras with platies, 3 or 4 males and 6 to 8 females. You could get a variety of bright colors and platies are active. You already have two schooling species in the neon and candy cane tetras, so I think the platies would add another contrasting element to the tank.

Just about any fish will pick at shrimp, even smaller fish like the neons. I wouldn't be surprised if the gourami and tetras have been picking at the ghost shrimp and you just haven't seen it. Since fancy shrimp like the rilli can be expensive, I'd stick with ghost shrimp.

I agree that a school of 5 or 6 of each cory species would be ideal. However, availability can be an issue. Over the years, one thing I've noticed about cories and schooling is that they're flexible and usually will readily school with other species. I've often kept schools of mixed species because I picked up the last individual of this species at pet store A, the last two of another species at store B, etc. until I had 10-12 individuals of four or five species, and they would school nicely. So if you can't get more julii or panda cories right away, adding a school of another species (say green cories, C. aeneus) would help your current cories feel more secure.

The last thing I'd suggest is some nerite snails. They are large, fairly cheap, long-lived and colorful. They are some of the best algae eaters I've ever had, and won't multiply out of control like other snails.

WYite

FisherMack

AC Members
Nov 29, 2020
Florida, USA
Thanks! Yes, I'm not particularly interested in breeding. Mainly just looking for something colorful and low maintenance.

I'll definitely stick with ghost shrimp. We seen the blue jelly rilli about a week ago. But they are so dang small it's really hard to see them.

And thanks for confirming my thoughts on the cories. Luckily our lfs usually has panda and julii. We finally got our nitrites under control and just returned from a trip so we can finally start working on stocking again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store